Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what about the gar?
Gar are a great species to target, and are equally as difficult to get on the hook alot of times. I don't know how many times i've missed a hook set when a gar grabs one of my baits. The reason is because of thier narrow mouth, there isn't much to sink a hook into. I've heard of using a piece of rope before, but it would really suck getting it out of thier mouth to let them go; not to mention unsafe. LOL Those teeth are sharp and don't play. [Tongue]

Our local rivers are loaded with gar, and the rig I use is pretty basic. Gar don't like alot of current, and are usually found along the dead current areas of the rivers like along the bends in a bank, in creek mouths, or in small lakes off the river formed by run off. I've always said when the gar are frequently seen hovering on the surface, it's time to start fishing the rivers. LOL, the gar aren't on top yet, and i've been skunked the last two trips, so there really is something to it. [Smile]

The rig I usually use is pretty basic. I use a bobber rig with a 18" steel leader and a #4 trebble hook. Trebble hooks give you an extra 2 chances of getting the hook set in thier mouth, versus a single hook which is very hard to get done. I use nothing but fresh cut bait and don't waste my time with lures. You'll get them on lures, but fresh cut bait on a bobber is way more effective around here.

The biggest mistake people make is setting the hook too soon. When you see the bobber scooting accross the water, give it a few seconds to get the bait in his mouth. Once he's chewing on it, then set the hook. They have a boney mouth, so it takes a firm snatch to lodge the hook in thier mouth effectively.

Of course, once you get them in the boat, make sure you have a good grip and use pliers to remove the hook. (unless you know a good doctor) [Tongue]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
what about the gar? - by mattscru - 04-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Re: [mattscru] what about the gar? - by Tarpon4me - 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Re: [mattscru] what about the gar? - by birddogwi - 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Re: [Tarpon4me] what about the gar? - by gdn443 - 04-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Re: [gdn443] what about the gar? - by Tarpon4me - 04-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Re: [Tarpon4me] what about the gar? - by tubeN2 - 04-26-2007, 03:01 AM
Re: [birddogwi] what about the gar? - by mattscru - 04-24-2007, 10:59 PM