Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling for trout Species
I like small dodgers for trout. I'm partial to the Rocky Mountain Tackle signature dodgers. The colors that work best for me are the Hyper Plaid (holographic tape), Chartreuse Tiger, Gold Fire Ice, and Nickel Pink Crushed. These are my favorite trout dodgers, and they work great for kokanee too. (actually they are designed for kokes, so that is a given!) There are tons of other great colors, but I haven't had time to try them all!

I also like Crystal Basin dodgers. They make a little 3" dodger that is awesome. I really like their watermelon finish, and a lot of their flourescent colors. They are great when the fish want a smaller, more subtle look. I especially like these with trolling flies and hoochies.

If I'm going for bigger fish, like mackinaw, I will use Lure Jensens dodgers, or Wordens. In deep water, where macs roam, the bigger dodgers really work well at times. I like their crome pounded finish the best, although I have a few that I've added glow stripes to... and they work awesome in deep dark water too. The flash of a chrome dodger doesnt do you any good if there is no light to reflect off of it! They still create fish attracting vibration, but I've found that adding a good glow painted, or taped on, stripe can make it have visual appeal too. I also like these for summer time trout that have moved deep to get out of the heat and sunlight.

Hope that helps you a bit!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Trolling for trout Species - by mactuna - 04-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Re: [mactuna] Trolling for trout Species - by bkidder - 04-27-2007, 08:58 PM