Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge lakers-not enough forage? Look at this one!
I am not sitting here dreaming this stuff up man. There is no conspriacy theory involved. The Wyoming game and Fish has said many times that Lake Trout in the Gorge was a mistake, and they wish the could get them out. Of course non of this is not of record it has come from the mouths of wardens and biologist that many of us run into an a daily basis. It will never happen though because Macks are the main attraction to the Gorge with kokes being second. All I am trying to get across is that the Game and Fish does not always tell the truth to us and most of what they say should be taken with caution. I have seen personally as many other Wyoming guys have also these guys killed 45 miles of one of the states best brookie fisheries so that when they replanted the cutts they would not have any competition (this is documented stuff also). The G&F might not have specific intentions to kill the Macks but they are definately not doing anything to promote the Trophy fishery potential that there is either. This same converstion is going on at the Wyo Board, and like I have said there I have nothing against cutts I actually think they are a cool fish, and they are a valuable resource to our fisheries. What I don't like is that the G&F will kill other predatorial fish to promote their survival.

As for Burbot where have you got the impression that I am not extremely concerned about them being there, because I am. Right now the only competition is from Lake Trout they have been eating them on a regular basis. Now if you want to get into conspiracy theories, where did the burgot come from? Was it planted by a couple of unkowing fisherman or was it done intentionally by some guys. Who knows but there is alot of guys (not Myself) that will swear that they were planted by the G&F because they knew what the potential was to harm the fishery of the Gorge and in turn what it would do to the Macks. Once again I don't believe this but I do know one thing Burbot have been in the Gorge alot longer than we realize. We didn't get to the numbers and the sizes of the burbot we have in just the last couple of years. In my opinion they have been around for at least 8-10 years and it has only been the last couple of years when jigging for Macks became popular that people started noticing how prominate the burbot were.

In my opinion this is some good discussion from both sides and I appreciate it. As long as personal attacks stay out of this kind of stuff these kind of discussions can turn into very informative discussions for all that post and read.

Oh and by the way just for the record it might not sound like it but I am a very pro G&F guy. In Wyoming they do a very excellent jog with many things but like any agency they mess up alot also.

W&B if you have any info on the stocking of Snake River cuts in the Green or it tribs I would be interseted in that. To my knowledge the G&F is very anal about putting native species in native waters. I thought only Colorado's went into waters that feed the Colorado, Snake's only went into waters and tribs that fed into the Snake river, Bonnevilles into waters that went into Bear Lake, and Yellowstones in waters and tribs that lead into the the yellowstone river.

Later
Wyobraz
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [wormandbobber] Gorge lakers-not enough forage? Look at this one! - by Wyobraz - 05-11-2007, 02:48 PM