Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowrance X67c Ice Machine Modified
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Well, I decided to go back to the drawing board and build up a third fish finder for ice fishing. I am very pleased with what I have come up with on this version. I haven’t had an opportunity to give it a try just yet but I think it will be the cat’s meow.

On the past two versions that I rigged up for ice fishing, I had modified units designed for boat transoms. With those, there were three major problems that always bothered me: (1st) Because the transducers were designed for a boat mount, I had to connect them to a “T” shaped PVC device to set in the ice hole. And then, I had trouble getting the ducer to hang straight down to “look” at the fishing area I wanted to see. It seemed to always hang at some other angle not necessarily showing me my jig. (2nd) The PVC parts took up way to much space in the ammo box that I used to transport the unit. (3rd) Again, because those first two units we for boats, the cabling was very long and again, took up way too much space in my ammo box.

This new unit, the [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=&id=0022428016347a&navCount=0&podId=0022428&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentType=&indexId=&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true"]Lowrance X67c Ice Machine[/url], I got from Cabella’s. But I was very disappointed in the soft transport case that it came with. I junked the case and put it all in one of those nice strong plastic ammo cases you get from Sportsman’s. And, I had to modify the float unit that came with it. I had to put some threads, washer, and nut on the end to hold the styrofoam float unit from coming off.

The ammo case holds the whole system PLUS an EXTRA battery! Now, when fishing and the battery goes low, just switch the power cable over to the backup battery and I’m operating once again. [/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]

Here is what it looks like when you open the case before you set it up:[/#002850][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]

[inline Opened-up-400.jpg]

[/#002850][/size][/font]
The system includes two gel cell batteries, transducer and cable, styrafoam float unit, head mount, mounting screws, screw driver, ammo case, carabineer (to hold the ammo box closed in transit), and the X67c color head. Notice the padded storage area. Also, I wrap the head in additional padding as the sled ride out the fishing hole can be pretty bumpy:[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][inline Parts-all-laid-out-400.jpg]
[/#002850][/size][/font]

Here is a side view of the system ready to fish. Notice how the float unit attaches to the bell shaped transducer. Not only does this system allow the sonar to float vertical, but the bell transducer can swivel to stay in a vertical position when ice freezes around the styrafoam:[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][inline Ready-to-fish-side-400.jpg]

Here is a front view of it ready to fish:

[inline Ready-to-fish-front-400.jpg]

Here it is all packaged up ready to transport. The dimensions of the inside of the box is just 12” x 6” x 6”:

[inline Ready-to-go-400.jpg]

Well, anyway, I’m pretty excited about giving it a try this winter.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Lowrance X67c Ice Machine Modified - by Old_Coot - 12-16-2007, 04:56 PM