Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oppening day of deer season tomarow
I am sure you know what is best for managing the herd on your land. As most farmers do...

question comes to mind, what if this CWD thing is a real threat? wouldnt it be a smart thing to harvest anterless deer for a year or two to keep the herd thinned just long enough to prevent a wide pandemic of this insain bug? I am just saying what if [crazy] It is plausable even tho our government hasnt been forthcomming with us about the true facts.... I myself have always been a poor gambler.

I do remember my dad and old timers from up there who told me horror stories about when they opened up the first doe season in michigan and people went out and shot them like clay pigeons and left them there lying and rotting,,,, I wasnt there so I can say if this story is true, but if your dad or gramps was around in the day ask them about the on slaut....

I had heard rumors from out west where whole herds of deer and other bovins were slaughtered if one animal was found with the desease. What I dont know is if the animals were harvested for burger or carried off to some land fill...

I have taken two antlerless deer in years past from farmers who's crops were being eaten by deer.

one thing I do know is a periodic thinning of herds or flocks or schools is good for the species....

Befor sportsman samon would lay and rot on the river banks feeding not only bear but wolves and other dog type animals along with skunks oposoms coons and many bird species.... So speaking litteraly, the natural way of the salmon has been interupted greatly... for better or worse only time will tell....

also I would have to ask why so many salmon are on the river banks? is it because anglers are not able to come out and fish for them because of gas prices?

but food for thought, if you are hunting with a hand gun, wouldnt this be the perfect oppertunity to claim some freezer steaks? again you get to pick and choose which antlerless deer should be culled from your farm...
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [bassass] Oppening day of deer season tomarow - by HuckelburryFinn - 09-21-2008, 02:15 AM