Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Tubes Flip in the waves?
Love reading TD's explainations. I would trust what he says because I have been in many of them myself, with him. As to flipping a tube. I have not been in the newer pontoon type craft, but used a donut style for years. The only time I ever flipped one was launching. You can flip one while backing in and not being careful when you first sit down. Did it once at Yuba and at Utah Lake. One way to get around the big waves was to go to a bigger tube.

I used 20 and 22" Bucks Bags that were dual diameter tubes, the back of the tube was larger in diameter than the front to give you more support where your weight was when sitting. This was an inovation of Insul Dri, along with neoprene waders. I have been on Utah Lake in 3ft. waves in my 22" tube. I did not enjoy it, but was not afraid of tipping.

As to the danger of jet skis and water skiers. I have problems with them in my boat. I run a 18 ft. Skeeter with a 175 hp outboard and they still think that I am just a fishing boat and can't run em down. I have had skiers try and put a skier between me and the shoreline I was working, with the boat outside me. would have pulled the rope right over me. That diver dumped her skier off when I bounced buzz bait off her windshield. Kept the skier in the water for over a half hour by keeping between him and the boat with my electric and bouncing a jig off her boat when she got to close. Finally let her get him, Ranger Shawn was not real happy with me, but wrote them the ticket when I explained what happened. I now just carry my cell phone and call 911 when crap like that happens. Back in the day, we didn't have cells, so the wrist rocket was your only protection.

Messages In This Thread
Do Tubes Flip in the waves? - by davetclown - 01-04-2003, 07:48 AM
Re: [flygoddess] Do Tubes Flip in the waves? - by Therapist - 06-08-2009, 04:09 AM