Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm hooked
Good to have you on the forum! There is nothing quite like fly-fishing from a float-tube. Until I moved to Utah, 95% of the fishing I did was from a float tube. I came down here and fished the rivers for a while and now am getting back onto the water with my tube again (pontoon actually).

For really cold waters I would be tempted to recommend neopreme waders 5mm thickness. However, it may be overkill because 3mm neos work well if you layer properly underneath. I've been float-tubing where there was a thin layer of ice on one end of the pond I was fishing. I have 3.5mm Hodgeman neos that I picked up on an internet closeout for $35 US. I wore a good pair of wool socks, long johns, and fleece sweats/loung pants (fleece lounge pants don't have the elastic around the ankles which can get really annoying wearing waders). On the top I wore long johns, t-shirt, sweater, and jacket. The neos were a bit snug but I was able to fish very comfortably for a few hours.

If you plan on layering though, be sure to buy some neos that are a bit more roomy in the foot especially. Constricted blood flow leads to really cold feet. If I were to buy a new pair of waders, I would take my wool socks (or whatever I was planning to wear on my feet) and bulky winter coat to a sporting goods store with a good selection of waters. Try them on as if you were about to get into the water. If they are comfortable, good. Too tight, keep trying. Then once I found a particular brand/size, I would then start shopping around for the best price, especially the closeouts.

I made the mistake of not allowing room for my layers when I bought my last pair of waders. I have to almost roll them on and do a little dance to get them off.

Good luck on your searching and enjoy the fishing!

ES
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
I'm hooked - by Northfly - 07-16-2003, 01:10 PM
Re: [Northfly] I'm hooked - by TubeDude - 07-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Re: [Northfly] I'm hooked - by EmuScud - 07-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Re: [EmuScud] I'm hooked - by halibut - 07-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Re: [halibut] I'm hooked - by EmuScud - 07-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Re: [Northfly] I'm hooked - by Northfly - 07-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Re: [Northfly] I'm hooked - by EmuScud - 07-17-2003, 04:26 PM