Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the wierdest thing you've ever caught?
Even after all my rambling - I forgot one of the oddest of all.

Was visiting NY/NJ and staying along the river coast. Folks fishing at night using baitfish as big as a healthy catch in my book - going after Stripers (striped bass). After learning about them - that's been part of my motivation to seek our local Wipers.

So this guy thinks he's snagged, and is pulling up something heavy. They had big tackle. As he gets it to the surface, thinks it's a branch. By the time he hauls it into the light - we see it's a horseshoe crab. But wait - it's not just one, but two horseshoe crabs, and they are locked in the dance of love.

The guy who caught it didn't want it, but an Asian fellow there motioned that he'd like to keep them. So he manages to put the two spiney-pokey things in a plastic shopping bag, and hooks it onto the handlebars of his bike, and slowly rides off.

Don't know if that's normal for them, but it was weird for me! Never heard of eating horseshoe, but maybe crab-is-crab! A little garlic, a little butter... just watch out for the green stuff!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [binlurkin] What is the wierdest thing you've ever caught? - by CoyoteSpinner - 06-26-2010, 08:13 PM