Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah should ban all bait completely where they have slot limits
I am more of a trophy hunter than a meat hunter AND hope to teach my kids the same so my personal wishes are close to what you recommended. I am a personal HUGE fan of slots. I have personally landed a 26" cutt through the ice this year at the berry (didn't have BFT logo for ice tournament) and have seen more reports of fish over 25" coming from the Berry this winter than ever before. I also landed a 25.5" tiger at Scofield at first ice and have seen the fishing dramatically improve since the slot was put on there.

I would personally love to see the slot increased to 24", be put on several more lakes (boulder mountains, etc), include rainbows in the slot in several lakes, then allow everyone to keep one fish in the slot (preferred if people waited until one was mortally wounded) and one outside of the slot. I would also like to see certain lakes close for a few months to allow the fish to grow (like Henry's). I would also like to see more sterile species put in to these lakes.

I would also agree that when there is a slot, you have to get rid of bait fishing with trebles. The only trebles allowed should be those on lures.

Meat hunters can always go buy fish at the store if they want some meat. But trophy fishermen can only fish for trophys. I also don't see why anyone needs tot take home more than a fish or two per trip, especially if you are taking out a child who can also take home a fish or two. One nice fish will feed a family for dinner, and if you want more fish, go fishing again. There are multiple good lakes within 30-60 minutes of all urban centers in Utah. I just don't like the thought of keeping multiple huge fish to end of throwing some away due to freezer burn or going bad.

But just what I would want and I understand the other side too.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [GUIDEMAN] Utah should ban all bait completely where they have slot limits - by Jacksonman - 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM