Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dough bait recipies
These are trout bait recipies Answers [indent]I looked through some books i have and here are a few i found. One is from steelhead.com.

Dough Ball recipe

1/2 cup corn meal

1/2 cup flour

1/4 cup white Karo syrup

2/3 cup water

3 tablespoons water optional

3 tablespoons Peanut butter (optional)

Oil scents can be substituted for peanut butter

Cotton ball fibers Marshmallow creme (optional to add floatation)

food coloring (to get desired color)

On low heat mix water, syrup, food coloring, and peanut butter. (or oil substitute) After mixing corn meal and flour together slowly add to liquid while stirring. Stir while cooking until thick or water is gone. Mixture can be blended with marshmallow creme for floating baits. After mixture cools add cotton ball fibers to keep baits together.

One that will stay on the hook and can be cast into the swiftest water without difficulty, yet is soft enough for a delicate hook set, consists of equal parts of yellow corn meal and white flour mixed together plus enough water to give the mixture the consistency of biscuit dough. The mixture is dropped into boiling water a spoonful at a time and allowed to cook for 5 minutes or until it is cooked throughout. It can be tested by removing a good-sized lump and breaking it open; when the doughball is yellow clear through, it is done and can be removed from the boiling water to cool. As soon as it cools enough to be handled, all of the dough lumps are kneaded together into a large ball from which individual baits are pinched, as needed.

A favorite recipe among western Iowa anglers is:

2 cups of corn meal and 1 cup of flour mixed together.

one-half package of jello, 3 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of vanilla into a pint of boiling water. Add the corn meal-flour mix to the jello. Remove and let it cool. Knead the dough bait into a single ball and wrap it in aluminum foil for refrigeration.

You should be aware that dough bait used in cold water -- below 55DoU F should be fairly soft since there is a tendency for it to become firmer when immersed in cold water. Likewise, dough baits kept in the refrigerator and then cast into warm water may become too soft. Additional flour will add firmness under these conditions. Also bits of marshmallow were suggested. I hope this helps.

Small baits are usually considered the best for carp. Some anglers prefer a small, round ball of bait placed on the tip of the hook only, while others use a pear-shaped bait and cover the entire hook. Both methods give excellent results.

[Wink]These are all recipies I am giving you hopes this helps[/indent]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Dough bait recipies - by tubeN2 - 09-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Re: [tubeN2] Dough bait recipies - by surfcaster03 - 09-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Re: [tubeN2] Dough bait recipies - by surfcaster03 - 09-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Re: [tubeN2] Dough bait recipies - by surfcaster03 - 09-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Re: [tubeN2] Dough bait recipies - by surfcaster03 - 09-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Re: [tubeN2] Dough bait recipies - by surfcaster03 - 09-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Re: [tubeN2] Dough bait recipies - by surfcaster03 - 09-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Re: [tubeN2] Dough bait recipies - by surfcaster03 - 09-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Re: [tubeN2] Dough bait recipies - by surfcaster03 - 09-17-2003, 10:31 PM