Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(somewhat) beginner to fishing <need tips!>
Okay, so I guess im not 'completely' a beginner, I have reeled in my own 27 inch pike while ice fishing with my friend. I have caught quite a few panfish now, and I have caught some smallmouths (less than 15 inches, so no keepers..). I have reeled in a Redhorse carp as well.

I know some stuff, but I still feel lost. Basically, my dad would take me fishing in California, but we went to crappy places to fish, and rarely got anything. I now live in Wisconsin, and without my Dad. He didn't know much about fishing, so I didn't learn much from him.

I have a really good friend who's into fishing and has some stuff and lets me come with him fishing. He supplies all the stuff, which is extremely courteous of him. We were in his shack last winter in March when my tip up went up and I caught that "monster" pike (at least to me! Tongue). Since then, I loved Ice Fishing.

So now that it's summer, I had to move to a different house, so I have been busy and couldn't get together with that friend of mine. Finally, last week, we went together and in total, must've caught 20 panfish. (10 were worth keeping) I know some people dislike this, but if I hear a fish tastes good, and the size looks about right, I keep the fish. I mean, I want to try out all different types of fish.. And it just feels good to know that I'm going out there not just to hurt a fish, but to get something out of it, food.

So anyways, suddenly my step dad comes out of the blue saying "Hey, I think I got 2 poles and a tackle box in my garage, but the stuffs about ten years old.." It felt like christmas. Half the stuff in his tackle box was never opened, and the poles seem like they're in great shape (and i get 2! now I can try to take my sister out fishing too!). He has a couple jigs in there, but it doesn't seem like he knows TOO much about fishing, so I don't know if I should ask or not. He's not a very emotional person, so I tried not to bombard him with appreciation, but I really appreciate it.. It seems like he bought all kinds of stuff 10 years ago to take his daughters, they didnt like putting on worms and all that stuff, he had to do everything, and he started disliking it too. So he may not have too much knowledge about the stuff.

So anyways, there's quite a few spinners in there, and sinkers, and hooks, and two rapala lures (i hear they're really good, these ones have one hook in the middle and one at the rear), and bobbers, and an actual stringer (lately I was just using fish line as a stringer for the panfish).

I think I'm good with knowledge for the panfish, I know one spot that seems pretty good, and I just use a 2-8 hook with a half of a nightcrawler, along with a bobber about 8 inches from the hook. But I have no idea what to do for other fish. My friend told me there's bass, walleye, carp, and panfish in the water that he took me to, which is the Wisconsin River, and is only like 15 minutes away from here.

Lures? Spinners? What do each one do/catch, tips, techniques, spots to use them? Bobbers? Sinkers?

And then there's water near my new house, the eau claire river, that I see a couple of fishers go to sometimes. I saw a couple of 5th graders who had a bass and a pike in their backpack, and they were using lures. They were EXTREMELY helpful, but I still don't know too much of fishing freshwater.

I got some spending money, and I can head over to Gander Mountain to buy some more lures, if I should. Give me name brands and what they catch, and I'll see if I can get them.

Sorry for such a long post..This was more of a rambling post, I guess. I just have so much to say! And I want to learn so much more! Thanks, and have a great future fishing.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
(somewhat) beginner to fishing <need tips!> - by TRUTHFUL_LIES - 07-30-2011, 03:33 PM