Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Quick Evening Bass Trip
I've been wanting to get out bass fishing all week, but I've been stuck working graves and I ended up sleeping most of the day all week. Well yesterday, with the crisp fall like weather, I just couldn't resist. I didn't get on the water until 630, so my time was limited, but I'm glad I did. It was even windier than last week when I set out, and the water had dropped several feet. After catching the perch monster last week, I was actually going to go looking for some panfish so I could make fish tacos. I had a second light action rod rigged up with a dropshot and a small 2.5" reaper. I immediately got some taps and pulled in a little bass. Shortly after I caught a better bass.[inline "bass small.JPG"] And then another.[inline "bass 2 small.JPG"] Well, I had less than two hours until dark, so if the bass were going to be this way, I felt I had an obligation to play with them. I got my other dropshot rod out and dropped down the fathead worm I'd been doing so well on last week and hooked a couple more good ones.[inline "bass 3 small.JPG"]
I decided to mix things up and tried a Scrounger head with a fluke body, and caught another good fish,[inline "scrounger bass small.JPG"] followed by about a 12". If they were active enough for that, I thought they may be active enough to hit a crankbait. I immediately brought in a 6" dink, and then pretty much text book, I nailed a good fish casting across a windswept point. [inline "crank bass small.JPG"] That thing really fought. I taped it at 18". I decided that my ultralight was feeling left out, so I clipped the little jig off of it that I'd intended to use on perch, and put on a little Lucky Craft 65DD jerkbait in a perch pattern. Bam, fish on. He was about 12", but he had that little rod doubled. I scored three more like him in quick succession from the same area. I moved around the point and missed one, but then it quieted down. I tried the other side of the point and scored a few dinks and another small crappie. This one was smaller than last weeks, which shows multiple age classes in the lake, and it came from a totally different area. I think the crappie are there to stay. Well, it was nearly dark at this point. I tried a topwater, but nothing would come up for it. Right as I was about to leave, I caught two little six inch bass on the jerkbait, one on each treble. I kind of wish I'd taken a picture as that doesn't happen often, but they were fingerlings so I decided not to. Anyway, a good night, and hopefully a sign of things to come with the cooler weather.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
A Quick Evening Bass Trip - by gstott - 09-03-2011, 12:20 AM