Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some pontoon advice
I have a Sportsmans 9 AKA FC9. I can't tell you anything about the others, but I do know a thing or two about mine. I have used my boat for trolling on lakes for walleys, crappie, and perch. I have fished reservoirs and lakes, and white water rivers for Catfish. And I have even caught a 6 foot strugeon in my Sportsmans 9.
I like this boat. I am sure there are some that are lighter. I am sure that there are some that would work as well for me. Here was my deal. I looked around and got this boat lightly used for 200.00 cash. I added oar rights which is a must in my opinion for any boat. I also put on a 40 pound thrust minkota trolling motor. I use a series 27 deep cell battery. I also carry a cooler and other things on the back rack. Here is what my boat looks like loaded.

[Image: Ronstoon1.jpg]

Like I said I have used mine floating rives and I used it while dealing with dangerous wind and waves. I was worried a few times at first. As I gained knowledge and gained experience I now have full confidence in the Sportsmans 9.
Like I said I am sure that other boats are equally as good. My 200 dollar boat (gets er done).

My 32 mile float trip with it was a test on its own. For comfort and ruggedness. Going over rocks and through big waves. I was never nervous about hitting a big wave or hole. But I was not on true "white water" it is called class II splashers.

[Image: SwanFalls8-24-11J.jpg]
[Image: SwanFalls8-24-11JF.jpg]

I don't think I have truly tested the limits of the boat at all. When I caught the sturgeon it was not much of a test of the boat. In fact I have seen videos of guys catching sturgeon in boats. To be honest I felt that the pontoon was an advantage to me and I felt like I was totally in charge even though he was dragging me around at will. Never did it feel scary.

[Image: 8-12-11Esmall.jpg]

On the Creek Company boats. I also have the Sport XL and the old Banana boat Sport. I think both of them are ok at best. My son loves his sport.

[Image: 8-22-11D.jpg]
[Image: 8-22-11P.jpg]

Me not so much.

[Image: Deckedoutpontoon.jpg]

AS you can see Mine looks back heavy. I struggled to get it to ride level with a load. I don't know how a guy would be able to put a motor on. If you see how far my tips are in the water just think what it would be like with 2 foot waves and going into those waves with a motor. You could not pay me enough to have a motor on one in bad weather.
With that said they are not unusable. I got mine to ride level with a load but it has precious little hull in the water to keep it tracking straight. Here is a picture of it loaded and level.

[Image: Ronslewistonpig1.jpg]

Like I said my son loves his and he does get along with it well. He also made the 32 mile float trip with NO problems at all.
My info to you is if you find a lightly used Sportsmans 9 and can get it for 200 to 300 I would do it in a heart beat. PVC covers are a must. and a sturdy frame is also a must. I love mine. Ron
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Looking for some pontoon advice - by jer_fishes - 10-26-2011, 04:09 AM
Re: [jer_fishes] Looking for some pontoon advice - by idahoron - 10-27-2011, 01:21 AM