Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some good news on Utah Lake
[quote lavaman]The only good carp is a dead carp. I've never seen a nastier ugly looking fish. I have fished UL more than your average angler, and even with all the efforts to clean up the carp...it's my opinion that only a small dent will be put into that population. They lay so many eggs and grow so fast and widespread that it is very hard to make progress. But like it's been mentioned, any effort is better than none.

UL is a unique system. Shallow and covering many miles. I just have a feeling that carp will habitat that lake for a long, long time still.[/quote]

Have you SEEN some of the UGLEEEE cats I've caught? Heck - I'd say a nice mirrored carp has more beauty to share than some of those infected, scraped up channels (which would I rather catch ???? [:p] anyday)

As much personal satisfaction from catching, or bowfishing carp as I've enjoyed - whether they be released or "end-leased" - it's a pebble tossed in a big pond.
Then whole reduction program is based on the teeter-totter notion that there's a turning point. If they can remove enough bio-matter of a given species, they lose the reproductive hold and get out-competed, then are done.

MY fear is that of diminishing returns. What's the number 8million pounds a year for 8 years, or some such? I just fear that, though they've been on target, the pattern of diminishing returns, less carp to net, less mass removed, might they run short of tipping the scales while the $$ flows? Then what? Extension, give up?

I wish we had both the white bass to play with, and the June-suckers to head the cause up Cutler way, but alas, we have neither.
A lot of effort to protect suckers, from a fish introduced for a food source. I'd always known the suckers to be the trash fish, but that's midwest Ill.

I say - "smoke 'em if you got em" - we should learn how to utilize the resource. Sad to say - a single (or multiple) carp killing is going to have little to no impact. Might provide personal satisfaction, of which I share, but on the grand scheme of things.... pissing in the wind. Sorry to say.

Messages In This Thread
Some good news on Utah Lake - by happybob91 - 06-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Re: [lavaman] Some good news on Utah Lake - by CoyoteSpinner - 07-11-2012, 04:12 AM