Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still learning the ropes
I have really started to get into fly fishing and I have done okay throwing Dries, Wolly's and Terrestrials. But, I can't for the life of me catch a fish using scuds, or nymphs both in still water and in rivers. I feel like I have the basics down, but I am not sure what I am missing. I have had a couple hits fishing rivers, but man they spit it quickly and often I end up dodging my flies as they fly towards my face. [blush]

So I have tried the "Provo Bouncer with a bout a 6 inch tag off the bottom fly, as well as weight above the top fly and just can't catch anything on either rig. I was fishing a 5-6ft deep run and I had tried it both with and without an indicator using about 6-8 ft of leader.

I have not been able to cast these rigs very far, but from my observing other fisherman in the same area's it doesn't appear that is unnecessary?

I keep the rod high as it drifts through the run, as well as slowly pull the slack in to keep in drag free as possible.

In regard's to still water, I have not had a bite, but I was fishing them higher in the water column, since I only have floating line at this point.

My main questions in fishing still water being, will they only hit a nymph close to the bottom, or will they hit at any depth, as long as that is where they are hanging/feeding?

Also, I have tried a very slow, no movement retrieve as well as a more erratic twitching retrieve, with no success.

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Still learning the ropes - by UTExplorer - 08-30-2012, 09:13 PM