Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have never seen these boat before
Your right you have been doing this a lot longer your way older[Wink]

Your right though, I think the motor mounts that are not rigid mounted have a better chance handling the power. The NFO mount placement is a good design. Those mounts push straight down on the pontoons and the main frame is not under the load of the thrust
It is just too bad he didn't design it to actually be strong enough for your needs. At least your able to take his design and make do.

Beefing up the motor mount is not the answer to these style boats.
My Sportsmans had the same frame. I sold it with the outcast 10IR frame. While that frame was beefed up a ton since it was a stand up model I don't think I would risk putting a gas motor on one again. The problem with that frame design is when the motor pushes down on the back of the frame. The pontoons are pushed down and away at the same time flexing the frame out. This constant pushing down and away then returning does the same thing as bending a wire until it breaks. It flexes one way and then the other. The welder that looked at the boat told me the welds held fine. It was the constant flexing of the frame that caused the frame to fail.

The gear I had on these boats were very expensive and I don't swim worth a hoot. SO it was a no brainer. Buy a boat that is fully capable of taking that kind of load without having to do a bunch of work on it to make it work for my application.
There are a lot of videos of guys putting a gas motor on the small pontoons I even have some that show the whole thing working quite well. There are also videos of guys kicking each other in the groin. Not so sure either one is a good idea. The thrust that the gas motors put out is just too much for that style.

I have talked to companies like catchercraft, Skookum, and a few others. NONE of the will warranty the pontoon style with a gas motor. They all said the cataraft style is the better option for mounting a gas motor. From what I have seen they are right.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
I have never seen these boat before - by idahoron - 02-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Re: [flygoddess] I have never seen these boat before - by idahoron - 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM