Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!!
As titled, i've recently discovered a lake in South Carolina that has hybrids and also true Striped Bass, and i've never targeted those species before. I was hoping to get a little information in regards to how you chaps do it over in your neck of the woods. I typically fish saltwater, and when I fish freshwater, it's usually for trophy sized blue and flathead catfish. So, all new to me.

A little about the body of water (Lake Wateree, SC): It's average depth is around 35-40', and at it's deepest points, like around the dam, it's around 70' deep. There are defined humps and ledges that are easily seen on the sonar around the dam. The lake is full of shad, as I marked some on the sonar and cast netted them to confirm this a couple trips ago. This time of year the water temps are in the 80's, and there is a distinct thermocline about half way down in the deeper sections. I have been marking fish around the dam about 20' down out to about mid depth, but can't get them to chew on anything.

I'm also curious about hybrid and striped bass. For all rights to reason, SC and NC have plenty of typical Striped bass that spawn in fresh water and then venture back out to sea. The striper/ hybrids i'll be targeting in Lake wateree are land locked via dam, and don't have access seaward. Someone told me today that those fish will not successfully spawn if land locked. I can't believe that. I wanted to hear from you guys as to what your thoughts are on this. I can't be convinced that the lakes in the US that have land locked populations of these fish continue to maintain acceptable levels of populations, unless they are spawning.

Thanks in advance guys. Looking forward to the information. I'm not new to fishing, just new to stripers and hybrids. So if I can help with catfish, or you work your way into the ocean for saltwater fishing, i'd be glad to swap info. Also, I build AR's and precision rifles too, if I can help there. [cool]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!! - by Tarpon4me - 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Re: [TubeDude] WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!! - by PBH - 07-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Re: [PBH] WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!! - by TubeDude - 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Re: [Tarpon4me] WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!! - by PBH - 07-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Re: [Tarpon4me] WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!! - by Troll - 07-10-2013, 05:11 AM
Re: [Troll] WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!! - by Tarpon4me - 07-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Re: [Troll] WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!! - by PBH - 07-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Re: [PBH] WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!! - by Tarpon4me - 07-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Re: [Tarpon4me] WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!! - by PBH - 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Re: [PBH] WIPER FISHING!!!!!!!!! - by Ktrout - 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM