Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best type of baitcasting reel for my needs?
[quote Chris_530]I have an array of rods on my wall for all my spinning needs as well as 5 or so spinning reels with extra spools filled with different size lines for different situations, and as noted, I use Fireline as my main line, so I'm familiar with the braid aspect.

I feel like this is slightly drifting away from my initial inquiry. I've done extensive research on "baitcasters vs. spinning" and I'm not trying to differentiate the two at this point. I'm more-so trying to figure out which size baitcaster would best suit my needs. I'm trying to keep the spinning aspect out of this. I'm merely wanting to learn a new fishing technique, which is baitcasting. It's not meant to replace spinning, but I just want to broaden my skill with learning something new.

You've got your smaller "low profile" style baitcasters that most commonly seem to be used for bass. Then you have your larger "round" baitcasters (that you still can purchase in a somewhat small size) that seem to target larger fish, but I'm wondering if these round baitcasters have the ability to throw my average 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4oz. lures further than I already can with my spinning gear. If they aren't, then I might need to reevaluate the low profile baitcasters which seem optimal for those size weights, but then I have to question what size fish they can really handle.

I live in Red Bluff, CA. We hold the CA state record for the largest king salmon caught at 88lbs. It was only 9 pounds shy of the world record. This was less than a mile from my house. We have BIG fish running through here. Most caught these days are half that, but point being, I want something that won't potentially give out on me on that "just in case" situation.[/quote]

I apologize if I migrated a different direction from your original topic. That was probably my A.D.D. I do however, typically challenge anglers to see what it is driving their decision, to help them avoid an expensive mistake for the wrong reasons. With that said, it doesn't seem as if you so much want something universal or better, you just want to try something different.

The larger bait casting reels can cast the lighter lures to an extent, however, their casting range will be limited versus a smaller, low profile bait casters designed for that application. If you went with a high quality low profile reel, they'll handle fish well in excess of what you might interpret from the line class specified on the reel. Make sure it doesn't have all brass gears and such, which a large fish will shred under an exaggerated load. (heavier braid line, and a locked down drag) the only down side to bait casting reels with steel gears is you loose some of the silky operation, but you gain strength and power. Brass internals are very smooth in cooperation with a ball bearing drive, but they lack the capability to hold up under heavy strain.

With all that said, it's not a freshwater bait caster you should be looking for, it's a saltwater one. Check Basspro and cabelas, or something similar for saltwater series baitcasters. They should be stainless steel gears, and all while keeping the smooth operation and low profile that is needed for casting lighter lures. Be for warned though, they will be more expensive, and i'd be ready to buy two since you can't quick change the spool. I hope this helps. I can recommend a saltwater series casting reel if you'd like. I've used my share of casting reels, and have friends that continue to. Mostly for inshore fishing for redfish, speckled trout, and black drum.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Chris_530] Best type of baitcasting reel for my needs? - by Tarpon4me - 07-12-2013, 07:51 PM