Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best type of baitcasting reel for my needs?
Chris530 -

I think a lot of people compare a small spinning reel to a bait casting reel when they think about casting distance. The fishing application you have mentioned would require a spinning reel in the 5000 to 6000 size, some anglers may even use larger size spinning reels for large king salmon. Bait casting reels used in this same fishing application would be the larger low profile reels (Shimano Curado 300 or the Abu Toro) or the round bait casting reels in the 200 - 300 size. Again some anglers may feel more comfortable with a 400 size round reel for larger king salmon. Casting distance between the two kinds of reels has to be compared between the size or reels you will be using for the fishing application you will be doing. Don't compare the casting distance of a light size (1000-2000) spinning reel to a larger (300-400) round size bait casting reel.

For the type of fishing you are planning to use the bait casting reel for I would suggest the Shimano Curado 301 (left hand crank) or the Abu Toro. These reels will handle fish up to, and including, larger king salmon. Next would be just like the Shimano reps told you the 201 or 301 size Cardiffs or the their Calcutta B's. I know the price of these reels is more than you want to pay, but if you can find a way to get one, you will not be disappointed.

I hope you can find what you are looing for. Many anglers, once they become proficient with a bait caster, will only use a spinning reel to cast very light (1/32 oz up to 1/8 oz) lures.

Good luck.

ClearCreek
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Chris_530] Best type of baitcasting reel for my needs? - by ClearCreek - 07-14-2013, 12:06 AM