Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake "report"
Hi Kent,

I actually talked (very briefly) to you on Sat. I was in the red lund SSV off Cisco Beach and didn't recognize you until you and the other guys anchored and started jigging. We started off with my motor not starting at the marina even though I tested it the night before. (Loose connection on wire between selenoid and starter). Anyways, we fished the marina from about 8:30 to 9:30 and I caught 5 whitefish and one nice cutthroat. Action was slow so we pulled the boat and trailered it around to Cisco Beach. We launched at the ramp and were only fishing about 10 minutes before you pulled up and asked what we were catching. If I would have known it was you I would have introduced myself. Anyways, the whitefish were biting well, but they were smaller than we wanted so I ended up moving off the tip of South Eden Canyon right after that wind settled down. I was looking for rocky areas along the shoreline but with the water that low there is very, very little rock. However, we were persistent and found just a little area about 20 yards wide with rock going out to about 7 feet of water. That was the ticket. We caught our last 11 whitefish in less than a half hour and all were between 1.5 and 3 pounds! No trout though. However, our friend in the 14' Gregor with a 25 hp Merc motor caught one cutt about 6 lbs. and a mac about 10 pound jigging for those whitefish with ultralight gear, 1/16 oz. jigs and 4 lb line!. It was a hoot to what him fight that mac on such light line. We never made it to the rockpile, but in another post to this board they mentioned that they were using black tubes. All I can say is welcome aboard! I ALWAYS start fishing with black then change if I don't do well. In fact all the whitefish both my partner and I caught were on black twister tail 1/16 ounce jigs. If black doesn't work then I will usually try blue, purple, or dark green. I admit that white is the most popular color, BUT I think that is a fisherman's choice. Macs and cutts typically feed on sculpin which live close to the bottom. These sculpin are are dark in color, thus my choice for tube jigs. When the cutts and macs feed on cisco heavily (as they will in the next month) then white may be a better choice. Lastly, to avoid a rash of response telling me I'm nuts....I have had some days that white is the only color I can catch fish on.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Bear Lake "report" - by muskyhunter - 12-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Re: [kentofnsl] Bear Lake "report" - by BearLakeFishGuy - 12-08-2003, 02:23 AM
Re: [kentofnsl] Bear Lake "report" - by fish1on - 12-08-2003, 02:21 AM
Re: [fish1on] Bear Lake "report" - by kentofnsl - 12-08-2003, 04:20 AM
Re: [kentofnsl] Bear Lake "report" - by polokid - 12-07-2003, 10:01 PM