Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for fly fishing for bass
[quote BSTORMIN4]I know exactly what you are talking about guys thank you. I am sure I have quite a few WB's is there a certain color that works better then others?[/quote]

I have a pattern I'll share with you that has been an awesome fly for me. I could probably go on for several paragraphs about this fly, but I'll be brief.

I call it a "Skunk-bugger", partly because when it gets wet it looks a bit like an inverted skunk to me, and partly because if I think I'm going to get skunked I can almost always resurrect a lousy day with this fly. It works great for both trout and bass.

This fly started out in this format:
1. Black thread on a 3x long size 4 (or 6, I prefer 4) hook.
2. Tail is black marabou with 4-6 strands of pearl flashabou.
3. Body is dark olive with a badger Saddle hackle palmered over it.

Later on, I switched out the badger hackle with an emu feather. I think this works better, but doesn't look as pretty in the fly box (who cares about that?).

I haven't tried it, but I believe it would also work very well with a grizzly SH on it in place of either the badger or emu. Sorry, but I don't have any pictures. Bass seem to really like this fly as do the Hybrids at Henry's.

If you give it a try I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. It has become my favorite bugger color variation.

Messages In This Thread
Advice for fly fishing for bass - by BSTORMIN4 - 03-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Re: [BSTORMIN4] Advice for fly fishing for bass - by hooknhunter - 03-13-2014, 12:59 PM