Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Launch 3-24-14
[#0000FF]As the old TV ad used to say..."Thanks fer yer support." I said my piece and then let it go. I don't believe in challenging an unarmed person to a battle of wits.

While there are many responsible and courteous boaters in Utah, there are too many that think they have the right to ignore or deliberately harass everybody else on the lake whether they be fishing or just hanging out and trying to enjoy some peace and quiet. By the way, I usually wave back at them...but I may not use all the fingers on my waving hand.

In reality, it is POSSIBLE to catch walleyes from shore almost anywhere around the lake...at any given time. In reality, it takes a combination of good timing and good luck...and sometimes even skill. The fish move around to find food and comfortable temperatures. But they usually do not feed actively all day. They are efficient predators and they "eat big"...usually good sized white bass, perch, bluegill or crappies. Even small carp and bullheads. So a feeding time for them might only be 5 minutes every couple of days...or less during colder water times when their metabolism slows.

I can assure you that plenty of walleyes are taken by bank tanglers throughout the year. But the guys who regularly succeed are not the kind that visit public forums and publish reports and pictures.

In my younger years, I spent lotsa hours...both during the day and after dark...wading or tromping the bank and casting jigs for hours. But I had a "route" that began at American Fork and included stops at several different spots around the lake. I would spend a reasonable amount of time at each spot, trying to determine if the fish were there or if conditions were right for them to come in. But I was ready to move as soon as I decided it was fruitless to keep casting. Sometimes the fish come in right after you leave and sometimes it is days between the good times.

I can offer than most of the walleyes I caught around the harbors this time of year were from the rocks on the outside edges of the dikes. After the fish spawn a few of them will come inside the harbors to hunt food but you will usually do better on the outside. And rocks are magnets for walleyes.

Right now, fish in prespawn mode don't seem to be coming into shallower water. Anglers in boats are getting a lot of them out in 8 feet of water...or deeper. But there are more than a few males and females that are feeling the spawn urges and they do hang out closer...both daytime and after dark.

There is no magic formula and no pills or shots you can take. You just have to put in the time to learn where and when you have the best shot...and then keep taking it as often as you can. Anybody who claims to be able to catch walleyes on every trip will lie about other things too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln Beach Launch 3-24-14 - by TubeDude - 03-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Re: [Tibbz] Lincoln Beach Launch 3-24-14 - by TubeDude - 03-26-2014, 12:44 PM