Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead minnow rigging
[#0000FF]I used to do some long-line rockfish pulling myself, in southern Cal. Couldn't begin to count how many hooks I baited with salted 'chovies. And they did work. But if you get into some of those huge schools down there they will bite almost anything.

There are several minnow fans who DO salt their freshly caught minnows...both to kill them and to cure them. The salt does draw out moisture and firms the minnows up a bit. And most fish like the taste of salt.

Howsomever, In several decades of experimentation on Utah kitties it has been my observation that fresh dead bait is best...followed closely by bait that has been properly prepared and frozen. This includes freezing minnows or fish flesh in a little water, with the air bubbles squeezed out, to reduce freezer burn. When I open a package of thawed minnows, carp meat or white bass the contents are about as close to fresh as you can get. And the fish vote for it pretty good too.

I have made several side by side tests...of salted minnows vs "fresh frozen" and there is usually even a close second on the salted. However, I have heard from a couple of other guys that they have had exactly the opposite results. Hmmm?

Now if some of our Utah cats got as big as those north Pacific flatties I wouldn't dare go after them in a float tube.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Dead minnow rigging - by 300win - 04-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Re: [300win] Dead minnow rigging - by Springbuck - 04-13-2014, 02:13 AM
Re: [300win] Dead minnow rigging - by TubeDude - 04-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Dead minnow rigging - by 300win - 04-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Re: [Outfishing13] Dead minnow rigging - by TubeDude - 04-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Dead minnow rigging - by kentofnsl - 04-14-2014, 01:03 AM