Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castaic extreme tubing
[cool][size 1]I guess you can blame heredity. Didn't get much brains in your genes...or something like that. I been knowed to "test the elements" a time or two myself. I always managed to survive, but through no fault of my own.[/size]

[size 1]I have long maintained that I can deal with almost anything...BUT WIND. Along with extreme current, wind is a bad thing for us poor flotation fishing fanatics. It totally removes the simple, hands-free, tranquil concept of our type of fishing. Instead of focusing on fishing, you are fighting wind and waves, and exerting yourself far more than is allowable under the "rules of enjoys".[/size]

[size 1]In my book manuscript, I have a whole chapter on dealing with problems while afloat. WIND gets a lot of verbiage. First, I recommend that you NEVER launch when the wind is blowing, or forecast to blow. Not worth it. Save the trip for another day when the wind ain't a factor.[/size]

[size 1]Second, if the wind comes up without forecast or warning...as it can and does do...you need to quickly and accurately assess the situation. If it is manageable, you can keep fishing or kick back through the waves to shore...or (if you are lucky) use the wind to push you where you want to go.[/size]

[size 1]On some occasions (Murphy's Law), the wind comes up when you are a long ways from your vehicle and blows against you if you want to go back. If the wind and waves are too strong, and you cannot make headway, then you need to either make a lateral move to shore and wait it out...or ride the wind until you can find a spot to beach.[/size]

[size 1]There are a lot of "horror stories" in the float tubing fraternity about tubers that got caught in sudden squalls and were blown clear across to the opposite shores of a lake. Been there, done that. Besides having to get safely on shore in sloppy water, you have to be able to wait out the blow...and then either hike, hitch a ride or kick all the way back.[/size]

[size 1]I'm guessing that the TubeN duo was merely testing their equipment and their stamina in new conditions. I would like to think that if they did not believe they could abort the mission and return safely to shore whenever they wanted, they would not have kicked out to the buoys.[/size]

[size 1]But, then again, there are no rocket scientists in our family tree. But, there are a few members that swing from limb to limb and like bananas.[/size]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Castaic extreme tubing - by tubeN2 - 12-28-2003, 04:41 AM
Re: [tubeN2] Castaic extreme tubing - by JapanRon - 12-28-2003, 06:08 AM
Re: [tubeN2] Castaic extreme tubing - by TubeDude - 12-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Castaic extreme tubing - by tubeN2 - 12-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Re: [tubeN2] Castaic extreme tubing - by tubeN2 - 12-30-2003, 10:14 PM
Re: [tubeN2] Castaic extreme tubing - by TubeDude - 12-31-2003, 01:13 AM