Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 2-5-16 Why?
Went to big blue yesterday with Pizzaman and finally met BearLakeFishGuy, nice to say hello Scott. Was texting Lavaman most of the day and wish we would have known that he was there so we could have fished together.

I had a fun day and got some nice sized whitefish for a change. Biggest accomplishment is I actually caught a limit of whitefish for my first time although 5 were small and I returned them to grow up.

But my question is why is it when you finally get a good fish on they end up being on the lightest line pole and on a setup you're least familiar with? I thought I had snagged a rock when I jerked to jig and it just didn't move, then the beast awoke and the drag started screaming as it peeled line off that reel and try as I might I couldn't slow or stop it. The reel is new and I really like it, but it doesn't have a brake so I couldn't let the fish freewheel, it had to pull drag, which worked fine until it pulled my splice out, where I had attached the 150' of flouro to my mono. The knot held but it must have weakened the line when I pulled it tight so shortly after it cleared my pole tip the line snapped and I'm not sure but I think an expletive might have been uttered. I had caught a 7 lber earlier with no issues at turning or fighting the fish and this thing was a total beast, it had to be big. Oh btw my light line was 8 lb test and new. Pretty fun anyway. Later J
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Bear Lake 2-5-16 Why? - by SkunkedAgain - 02-06-2016, 05:11 PM