Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama makes Bear Ears Monument
Bovine, I understand your position, you state it very well right here "I value open spaces. My life has been spent along the Utah/Nevada border where some days I am the only truck on the two-track road for 100 miles. The desert vistas, the extreme remoteness, the connection with the land are all sacred and part of my being. Contrast that with a trip into SLC. Concrete, crowds, noise, pollution, air traffic, freeways. While I am grateful for the amenities and conveniences in the city, I simply cannot wait to return to the desert. "

Now, consider that some of those city people, especially many from cities in the East feel the same way. They long to have just a little bit, maybe 5 days of your life, for just once in theirs. They thirst for the solitude, the extreme remoteness, they crave to connect with the land...those are natural things and we are running out of places to have that remoteness.
I recently spoke at a public meeting that was being held to determine if 26,000 acres of newly obtained land be declared wilderness or wild forest. The number of people that asked for wilderness that said almost your exact words astonishes me.
This is why we needed Bears Ear...so people that want the same things that you have everyday can have those things for a little while, so they can imagine what it is like to have what you love everyday, to have a mental image of it that they can remember for years, that they can go to in their mind...

Bishop had his chance, several years of chances, he couldn't get it done, he couldn't come up with a compromise, so the children were told what would be, whether they liked it or not. Which is how children that can't come up with a solution of their own should be treated.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Obama makes Bear Ears Monument - by Bovineowner - 12-28-2016, 10:58 PM
Re: [Bovineowner] Obama makes Bear Ears Monument - by Troll - 01-03-2017, 02:21 PM