Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boat motor tune up..
OK, it looks like they were pretty decent motors that weren't really intended to be adjusted. That was mostly just an EPA thing, and adjusting them at a high altitude is pretty common. I'm not even clear on if high altitude jets are even made for it. The adjustment is likely hidden under a black plastic cap on each carb. This IS an engine with three carbs, right? Two stroke? You should honestly be fine with an adjustment of the mixture screw, carb sync, and maybe another degree of timing advance. I'd wanna pull the plugs to get a good read on them too.

The thing thats a pain about a triple carb setup is that they need to be synchronized. It's usually done with a special tool that's basically a bunch of vacuum gauges. It just so happens I've been needing one of those tools to tune up the outboard on the boat I just bought a couple months ago, but I'd forgotten all about it until now. I just ordered one and it'll be here Thursday, so we could hook it up this weekend if you at least wanna try and diagnose the issue.

I'm not looking to turn a profit if you want some help. This is all basic stuff that shouldn't really force you to haul it down to a shop to get your wallet cleaned out. Happy to help with this kind of stuff.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
boat motor tune up.. - by fuzzyfisher - 10-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Re: [fuzzyfisher] boat motor tune up.. - by Dirty42 - 10-24-2017, 03:46 PM