Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scadden Renegade Help
This my first post on this forum, so Hello!

I am posting here because I have noticed there are some Scadden frameless pontoon tube users on here and i wanted to share my experience and see if others here might have had the same issues i am having and possibly get some ideas for fixes.

My Story:
I purchased a new NFO Scadden Renegade Summer 2014 and have had issues:

When I fold my Renegade for transport the PVC fabric cracks and it leaks. This happened day one so I called Scadden and was told they “haven't seen the issue before” and to fix it with Aquaseal. There was no offer to replace my boat even when i pushed them on it. They stated that if i sent it back they'd “just fix it with Aquaseal so it was best to just do it yourself”. So as a result of not wanting to deal with shipping I just fixed it myself with Aquaseal.

I don’t fold my boat anymore which kind of defeats my purpose for owning this model which I intended to fly with as checked luggage for destination fishing trips. I emailed and called them a bunch more times to see if they would replace my boat but they just ignored my emails and voicemails.

To try and get some additional resolution from Scadden I made it a point to stop by NFO Dave Scadden booth at the 2017 Somerset Fly Fishing trade show in NJ in late January to see if i could get some help with a warranty replacement. The Utah based staff person who was manning the Scadden trade show booth had no desire to help or even take our names. (I was with another angler who also had an issue with a framed Scadden single pontoon which he sent back to NFO Scadden for warranty service/repair and Scadden lost his pontoon.)

I am lucky enough to own several other float craft so my Renegade does not see use and sits in my garage out of the sun partially inflated.

Against my better judgement this past July I decided to use my Renegade on a local river fishing trip. While on the river one of the black nose cones came unglued causing an immediate deflation. Luckily, I was in shallow water and had a repair kit with me and I was able to use Aquaseal UV, Tear-Aide fabric tape and duct tape to make a quick temporary riverside repair so i could finish out the float. Now I'm even more suspect to quality of these Scadden boats. After this nose cone glue failure happened I completely don’t trust the craft for even light use.

When I got home from the July float I put the Renegade back in the garage and I noticed one of the R&P Oar mount pads was peeling off the boat apparently, the glue had failed.

These boats seem like cheap pool toys to me how can they be trusted for floating rivers and traveling to fishing destinations? I have less than 12 floats on my Renegade and its basically UN-usable.

How does Dave Scadden continue to stay in business with his lack of customer service and inferior built products?

Does anyone have some ideas for a fix for the nosecone coming unglued?

I know i can glue the R&P Oar mount pads back on with a quality PVC glue like Stabond 2 part adhesive and its fairly easy repair if you know how to work with the glue but the nosecone repair isn't as cut and dry and easy.

I know i'm not the only person with the nosecone issues as I seen other forums and blogs where same thing has happened to their Scadden frameless boats. I'm not so sure i want to go the same route as this fellow tuber though, see this [url "http://www.fisherdad.com/2015/07/north-fork-outdoors-not-responsive-to.html#links"]post [/url]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Scadden Renegade Help - by chromefinder - 12-18-2017, 10:14 PM