Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protective aprons for a float tube
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Hey George. How are ya?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]During the mid eighties through the early 90's, we spent many funfilled days along the Sonoran coast of the Sea of Cortez...from below San Carlos to Puerto Penasco. I speak semi fluent Spanish, so we got along fine. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Until some of the bad news situations about roving bands of desperate robbers, we camped on the beach and went fishing and diving in many remote places. Then the stories of disappearing gringos and burned out vehicles started keeping us away from the unprotected areas.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]They stopped having the Federale checkpoints in the late 80's in an effort to increase tourism. Then, they made a law that you have to post a $400 bond...on a credit card...and pay about $25 entry fee if you are going to go beyond the 15 mile barrier into Mexico. That shut down a lot of travel to San Carlos.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]To go to Rocky Point, all you need is Mexican Insurance and proof of American citizenship. If you go below Rocky Point, you need the visa and the bond. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]But, there is lots of good fishing from the beach or from a float tube in Rocky Point. Have had days of over two hundred fish...of up to fifty different species. And, it is only about a 4 hour drive from Chandler...if I keep the landing gear down. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The good thing about Rocky Point is that everybody speaks English and you can spend dollars without having to change your money to pesos. There are some great restaurants and some decent hotels at good rates in the off season. Unfortunately, development is quickly ruining what used to be a quiet getaway. And, during Spring Break you can't get near the place...and you wouldn't want to if you are over 25 years old (I am).[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]My favorite spot to go is Puerto Lobos, about halfway between Rocky Point and San Carlos. It is 4 wheel drive road for about 40 miles from the end of the pavement...which keeps out a lot of folks. It is a remote fishing camp, where the pangeros launch through the calm water every morning to set nets and lines. The fishery trucks come back in several times a week to bring ice, water, salt and groceries and to take out the processed fish. No electricity and no water. Great fishing and diving.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Protective aprons for a float tube - by Fishkid - 02-14-2004, 06:56 PM