Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wunnerful Willard 10-16-19
[#0000ff]Went fishing yesterday at Utah Lake. Tried to bump my catfish score. Not to be. Just tired out this old guy. When the alarm went off this morning for a trip to Willard my body said to bag it and go back to sleep. Lucky for me my inner angler won out and I got up and went.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glassy calm and 38 degrees air temp at the north marina at 7 am. Water temp 52...rising a whole degree by noon. Water level still high and good clarity. All systems go.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Took plastics and crappie rigs today but never got them wet. Started and stayed with fligs and small chub minnows. If it ain't fixed don't broke it...or however that goes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff] [#0000ff]Kitties started early. Got several even before the sun broke over the mountains. Some on a chartreuse perch whirly flig. Most on a small silver with blue back tailed flig. There were some bait balls in both shallow water and out in deeper water. and some had bigger fishies hanging out with or around them. Those shad-munchers liked my little blueback flig with a bitty minnow sweetener.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About mid morning I had a bite that I suspected might not be a catfish. The severely bent rod, the screeching reel and the fish making a wide sweep out to deeper water aroused my suspicions. After about 10 minutes of careful battling I was able to slip my (inadequate) net under a 24 inch wiper that weighed 6.4 pounds. What a hog! Made the trip for this old guy, I tell ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That wiper took the same blueback flig and minnow setup I had been using with success for the kitties. I just know that if there were more wipers available I would be catching more on fligs. Used to catch the heck out of them on the small plastics I threw for crappies. Oh well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had decided to make a short day of it. After a full day yesterday, my gas tank was running low...and I had people to do and things to see...or whatever. I did manage to rassle in about 10 cats for the morning...of which I kept 5 to fry. As with my last trip I got to play with several smaller "teen-inchers". They all got a kiss and were sent back to grow another year or two before a return match.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]An absolutely purtiful morning. Fall colors and flat water. Oh yeah, and some fish too. Anyone who might ask for more than that just ain't properly grateful for blessings received.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Wunnerful Willard 10-16-19 - by TubeDude - 10-16-2019, 08:28 PM