Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battery charger question
I'll chime in and move out quickly.

I think I understand the request.  I use a 24V trolling motor system, 80 # thrust, so I have three batteries, two deep cycle AGM's and one RV starting.

I had used a Cabela's three bank charger for years. At the end of the day I just plugged the system in and let it top off each battery.  It had an automatic setting.  (two lead pairs were for one battery type, the third lead pair was for the starting battery) During the winter it was garaged and left plugged in where it would automatically do maintenance charging on the batteries as needed.  The only issue was that the charger would go out about every 5 or so years, but the battery life was excellent.

When my son got my boat he had the charger go out so he bought another brand and I am not sure which one yet.  I get my boat back at the end of the month.  But, the Minn Kota three bank system does the same thing.  

Different batteries do last and charge better if charged differently, i.e. AGMs and standard lead acid and gel cells all have different suggested charging voltage.  The amperage is optional to a point, but charging a deep cycle at 50 amps is fast, but super hard on the life of the battery.  Charging a starting at 50 amps is great, but doing it at 15 amps will work fine, just slower.

As for running a battery down with a fish finder, YEP, it can happen.  I use to run my starting battery down all the time and jumping is fine (especially now that I have the Lithium Ion portable emergency device), but that was not the case 15 years ago.  Many people using standard fish finders for ice fishing find that 4 to 8 hours kills the small batteries, but a fully charged and good condition standard sized group 24 or 27 deep cycle battery should last for days.  I use to be able to tell how bad my trolling batteries were this way........and it was not fun.  Still, with the newer fish finders with live view or panoptics and larger screens, more amperage is required.  I bet that Jacob Wheeler (pro Bass Fisherman) could tell us about that because he has three on the front and one at the counsel.  

So, if you are using a three battery system like mine, check out the Minn Kota, the Cabela's, the Bass Pro Shops, etc.  If your handy, and are using the right charger(s), and have the battery switch, and ........ OK, I don't have that time or ambition at my age anymore. 

Smart to ask the question and do the research.  Most box Stores won't have an Outiftter/associate that would know.  SOME boat repair shops might.  Maybe you should call and ask a couple of them.

And for heaven sakes, once you get it figured out for you, let us know also.  I, for one, always want to learn........ Now, if only the Lithium Ion boat batteries were not so darned expensive........

Messages In This Thread
battery charger question - by r2u2 - 03-15-2021, 01:18 AM
RE: battery charger question - by dubob - 03-15-2021, 02:12 AM
RE: battery charger question - by wiperhunter2 - 03-15-2021, 01:39 PM
RE: battery charger question - by dubob - 03-15-2021, 04:46 PM
RE: battery charger question - by kentofnsl - 03-15-2021, 03:30 PM
RE: battery charger question - by dubob - 03-15-2021, 05:06 PM
RE: battery charger question - by SkunkedAgain - 03-15-2021, 07:47 PM
RE: battery charger question - by Therapist - 03-15-2021, 06:10 AM
RE: battery charger question - by RockyRaab2 - 03-15-2021, 01:00 PM
RE: battery charger question - by Tin-Can - 03-15-2021, 01:47 PM
RE: battery charger question - by BearLakeFishGuy - 03-15-2021, 02:38 PM