Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Helix First Use Report
Last night I took a late run to the marina and met Jig Fisher there to try the cats, it had been blowing for two days and chilled right off from what it was, plus the water level was down close to a foot... Soooo I didn't have real good hopes for the run, but I was trying my new ff for the first time and that was kind of fun.  FF in general are kind of useless on Cutler due to 2-3' depth, but my new finder has the side imaging on it and that was really cool, it actually works in shallow water, at least to 40-50' per each side of the boat until it kind of blacks out... For a mud bowl like Cutler, I was amazed at how much we could see for structure and fish scattered around the sides of us... I'm far from being able to identify any species, but I'm really excited to have this new tool to work with... Was a pleasure to fish with Paul, really enjoyed the visit, even if the fish didn't cooperate... Water temp was between 44-46 degrees, which is at least 6 degrees cooler than last week when I got the last fish.. Paul, sorry we didn't get a better night for catching, but did enjoy going fishing with you and we'll have to do it again under better conditions..  

What works best for controlling glare on your screens and being able to see your ff display better?  There is so much detail on these finders I find I need to study things more close up to figure out everything that is happening almost like you need a sonar operator in addition to the skipper guiding the boat... Will be fun to learn how to use this finder... Guess I need to take Robert's course on sonar interpretations... Now that's a class I'd enjoy taking....  Anyway I'll see what I can learn and report back as I figure out some of the abilities in case anyone is considering new finders this might help them know if the finder is a good one for them... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

Messages In This Thread
Helix First Use Report - by SkunkedAgain - 04-15-2021, 03:45 PM
RE: Helix First Use Report - by Jig-fisher - 04-15-2021, 06:49 PM
RE: Helix First Use Report - by SkunkedAgain - 04-16-2021, 02:04 AM
RE: Helix First Use Report - by 2knots - 04-16-2021, 01:48 PM
RE: Helix First Use Report - by SkunkedAgain - 04-16-2021, 05:49 PM
RE: Helix First Use Report - by fast_randy - 04-16-2021, 03:57 PM
RE: Helix First Use Report - by Cowboypirate - 04-16-2021, 06:25 PM
RE: Helix First Use Report - by SkunkedAgain - 04-16-2021, 07:04 PM
RE: Helix First Use Report - by fast_randy - 04-20-2021, 03:32 PM
RE: Helix First Use Report - by SkunkedAgain - 04-21-2021, 01:48 PM
RE: Helix First Use Report - by RockyRaab2 - 04-21-2021, 03:31 PM