Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach report 6-2-20 Now the cats are on!
I went to LB quite early yesterday. That didn't turn out to be super-necessary as the cats bit steadily all day. In fact, I averaged three cats an hour or one every 20 minutes. But that doesn't come close to telling how frenetic it got at times. I had several doubles and even a triple or two. I totaled out at 27. A lot of them were smallish but every one fought like a champ. My best was a 27.5". Still looking for that one that's 28.5" or bigger to give me a bump in the contest.

They liked both wb and strawberry chicken. The flaits in various shades of green were top pick but I think that my Santee rig produced about as many. TDs huge perple purch flig produced a few, too. 

Water temperatures ranged from 66 F to 72 F. Depths were about 9 to 10.5'. Due to the way the sun glare hit me I had to stroll north early. I went more than a mile out, catching all the way. I curved around to the west as the day went on and ended up down by the orchards after starting just outside the channel mouth. It was really uncomfortable in the waves that were coming at me. They were big swells that felt like I was constantly being hit by wakes. Sometimes it felt like they were coming from all different directions. I would just stand up to do something when it felt like someone gave me a good hard shove. I was clinging to anything and everything to keep from going overboard. Not easy to do when you are trying to net a fish.The wind had been forecast to be in the 2-3 mph range. So much for forecasts. Eventually it did settle down. I worked my way on around past the orchards, moving closer in as I went. Late in the afternoon I got as close as 60' from shore before getting hung up on rocks. It wasn't all fun and games all day; I tried several times to just drift but the boat would get all out of shape and the lines would start to cross. I don't have a speedometer so I just have to guess how fast I'm going, using different settings depending on whether going into or with the wind. But slow and slower seem to work best.

That was my 24th outing of the season. I've landed 164 cats for an average of 6.8 per day. They have averaged 23.5" long. I have recorded more 24"ers than any other measurement, with 22"ers close behind.

I'm getting ready to head out again here in a bit. I was so tired last night that I didn't put the charger on the batteries until early this morning, so once they get a good enough charge on them I'll be good to go again.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln Beach report 6-2-20 Now the cats are on! - by catchinon - 06-03-2020, 01:40 PM
RE: Lincoln Beach report 6-2-20 Now the cats are on! - by Fritzfishin - 06-04-2020, 12:29 PM