Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible tough Koke fishing at Jordanelle theory
I have been wondering about the apparent drop off in Jordanelle Koke fishing and why that MIGHT be the case. I had some ideas so I decided to do some "research" and think about personal experiences at Jordanelle.
Here is what I have come up with.

PICS from 2019  Jordanelle trip Wipers and Kokes[Image: Jord-Kokes-Wipers-Me-July-2019.jpg]

2019 July Trip Jordanelle  Kokanee
[Image: Randy-Tin-Man-Kokes-7-4-19.jpg]
 Kokanee were first introduced into Jordanelle in 2016 150,000  2 to 3 inch Kokes were planted.
 Wipers introduced also in 2016 24,000 at 2.01 inches... No threat to Kokes yet
 TIGER MUSKY introduced  in 2016 8500
Rainbows were also planted and varying amount every year, I wont bother with those numbers.

Kokanee planted at 3.13 Inches 163,000 were stocked into Jordanelle
Wipers another 24,000 planted at 2.01 inches, they and their earlier "Brothers" not much threat to Kokes yet

Koke fishing for me was excellent at Jordanelle, we had great success mostly limits and fast fishing pretty nice sized Kokes. I am assuming there were mostly first year Plants (2016) which would be 3 year old fish

Also in 2018 we had several good days chasing WIPERS that would hit anything. We got wipers to about 14 inches We caught many on 5 inch grubs and crankbaits ( think how a 3 inch Koke would fare) Also heard many caught near mouth of river inlet. That is where any spawned Kokes would return to the lake.

Kokanee Planted in 2018 247,000 at 2.86 inches in april
Wipers planted in 2018 22,500 at 2 inches Now the earlier wipers are getting big enough to eat other fish (kokes)
SPLAKE now introduced 39,000  piscivorous Hybrid  ANOTHER predator
Tiger musky now big enough to eat small fish

Koke fishing was excellent, still good numbers and  fast fishing for Kokes for us, up to 20 inches. Most fish probably 2017 plants not much predation on them as predators are just getting bigger.
Caught a 17 inch Tiger Musky in 2019 and a fair amount of decent wipers

Kokanee planted in 2019 162,000  the lowest number since first year... LOTS of predators to feed on them...
Wipers planted to join the previous plants 25,000
Splake 13,000 at 5,75 wont take long to grow to fish eating size
More Tiger Musky planted 16,500
Cutthroat introduced 36,000 potential fish eaters

Koke fishing still pretty good, but not as good IMHO as 3 previous seasons. These would be mostly 2018 plants. This would be the first plant class that would have lots of large enough, hungry mouths chasing them so one might expect fewer Kokes surviving. NOTE more were planted in 2018 but how many survived predation.

Kokanee planted in 2020 130,000 at 3 inches  This year I think all of the predators (5) now are large enough to eat small fish/Kokes
Wipers 2000 almost 8 inch wipers wont take long before they are munching small fish
Tiger Musky 15000 more planted
Splake 105,000 MORE fish eaters when they grow up.

That brings us to 2021 its still early and I actually hoping in wrong !!

I usually do well on Kokes at Jordanelle ( and other lakes) So far in 4 trips I have only landed 2 Kokes.  Reports I've seen and heard have not been great. There has been pretty good action on Rainbows they are usually planted when larger many planted at 8 to even 12 inches so they would be big enough to avoid being eaten.
We got one fat 17 Inch Splake that my Brother kept it had 4 4" perch in it. I'm wondering how many small Kokes one could eat in a year. as well as all the predators introduced and now large enough to make an impact???

#1 I really do hope I am wrong. I have really enjoyed the action on Kokes and the variety of catch and hope it stay great for KOKES !

#2 This is my Opinion and theory from fishing, observation and public info from DWR on stocking, I welcome any other input or views. I would love to hear thoughts from DWR or informed persons on why they felt the need for so many predators. Usually it seems they go in waters with a rough fish problem something I do not see at Jordanelle? At least they are all Hybrids and they will eventually die out and IF they are a problem, no longer introduced.

#3 I hope all have a safe and great fishing season with much success!

That's my theory and it is just that. It will be interesting to see how it plays out ! I'm thinking this may stir up some comments would be good to hear thoughts.

Ps. sorry for any typos !

Mildog out
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life

Messages In This Thread
Possible tough Koke fishing at Jordanelle theory - by Mildog - 05-03-2021, 06:37 PM