Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard info, about the wiper stocking program
(03-17-2022, 10:57 PM)fishinfool Wrote: Thanks Curt & Chris. Makes allot of sense and hoping for the more hearty strain in the future.

Will this strain get bigger then the other? Or is this a first of it's kind being produced and you have no data on them. 

Looking forward to hearing the drag scream more often but have to admit I am liking catching all the walleye eager to eat just about anything swimming by the past couple of years.

Come on soft water!

Hey Tony, I sent your questions to Chris and below is his answers:

Great questions!  Studies in the aquaculture industry where they have been looking to see if there are any performance differences between the two crosses found size between the two crosses to be similar in terms of weight.  Body shape is slightly different with the Palmetto cross being a slightly less deep bodied and a little longer than the Sunshine Cross.  The Palmetto cross is not totally new.  It was pioneered in South Carolina, the Palmetto State, which is where it got it's name from.  My observation is it has been used more in coastal states where there is easier access to ocean run striped bass.  Kansas, which has a strong hybrid striped bass program, went to using primarily Palmettos several years ago.  I'm not aware of many other inland states using them just yet, but that doesn't mean there aren't others.  While the Palmetto's have some advantages in the early life stages, the existing literature from the aquaculture industry has observed that the two crosses perform pretty similarly from the fingerling stage onward.  With that said, even if we get a pretty successful program producing Palmetto bass, I don't see us completely going away from the Sunshine cross.  As was mentioned, wipers are pretty versatile and we're using them in a lot of waters statewide.  We only have so much space to raise fish from fry to fingerlings and larger, so we will likely be buying the Sunshine fish from Arkansas at some level to supplement our in-state production into the foreseeable future.

Chris

Messages In This Thread
RE: Willard info, about the wiper stocking program - by wiperhunter2 - 03-19-2022, 04:45 PM