Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon today, 4-18
According to our local weathermen (ok, weatherpeople) today was suppossed to be the least windy day of the week, with warm temps...Fooled a bunch of us out there, except for about a 45 min. period of extreme calm starting about noon...and it was COLD at 0800 when I arrived, so with that, and the wind, I puttsed around for 2 hours before launching...bigger boat not ready yet, so today was the canoe day, with elec. motor....Part of my puttsing was watching the local DNR workers installing the 2 larger boat slips, one on either side of the wedge dock...So Yes, as of today, they are installed...I tried to dodge the wind by heading to the East arm, trolling, had 1 hit there an saw just 1 boat catch a fish there...wind got bad there...I headed to the now sheltering of Taylors's Fork...that was sheltered for about 15 mins; the wind shifted, and now this whole area was nasty for me... in my canoe...I know some of the bigger boats were'nt as bothered, but I pulled to shore for a break, lunch, and to change out batteries...sure enough, this was around noon, and now the whole res. got dead calm, and here I was, taking my break....I finished my lunch, hurried to change batteries, changed lures, fresh bait, took off 2 jacket layers (it was warm now), and headed back out thinking now what a great day this was finally going to be...Well..then the winds started again; slowly at first....now I was trolling back along the West shoreline, towards the dam area...I'd had a couple bites here earlier, and almost had 1 in the net....Winds getting stronger, I figured to get closer to the dam, and then cut across the res. and head back to the ramp....What?...my pole's jumping, third hit on my 'chartreus flashassin'..this one stays buckled, slowly in the net...So I turned around (the wind turned me around) and re-baited, and soon got hit again, slowly working another good fighting 'bow to the net...he's just in the net, and my second rod finally goes off...this one is also hooked just good enough, and is welcomed aboard...Fun fish to catch, but this wind was not fun, so rods put down, and I cranked the elec. speed to #5 for the white-cap rocky ride back to the ramp...one boat was there when I pulled in, and they had done good on their catching, but with the wind, were having a hard time trailering the boat back on...We agreed it was time to get out of there....Quite the day, glad I went, but can't always count on the weather-wind reports...

Messages In This Thread
East Canyon today, 4-18 - by Jmorfish - 04-19-2022, 06:05 AM
RE: East Canyon today, 4-18 - by SkunkedAgain - 04-19-2022, 01:48 PM
RE: East Canyon today, 4-18 - by Gone Forever - 04-20-2022, 02:52 AM
RE: East Canyon today, 4-18 - by Jmorfish - 04-20-2022, 04:56 AM
RE: East Canyon today, 4-18 - by MACMAN - 04-20-2022, 06:34 PM
RE: East Canyon today, 4-18 - by SkunkedAgain - 04-20-2022, 02:09 PM
RE: East Canyon today, 4-18 - by catchinon - 04-20-2022, 06:29 PM
RE: East Canyon today, 4-18 - by Jmorfish - 04-20-2022, 07:19 PM