Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safe Ice Digest
Dec. 4, 2022  Huntington, Scofield, and Mill Hollow (the loggers have ceased operations for the season and the road is no longer being plowed) are good to go and many people are fishing them. Other waters are being fished but may be marginal to just plain dangerous. Included are: Mud Creek at Strawberry, Mantua, Causey, Panguitch, Newton, and Lower Stillwater. Birch Creek, Woodruff, and Little Creek are good to go. Cutler only has a couple of inches and I know of one guy who fell through so give those fridgid Cache Valley temperatures a little more time to solidify the ice. Utah Lake Provo Harbor only has an inch or so of ice but people are ice fishing from the docks.

Dec. 6, 2022 Little positive to add at this time. We have been experiencing warmer weather lately; this has caused ice to deteriorate and some places that were marginal are just plain dangerous. The wind has also reduced the ice conditions in the Uinta Basin, including Big Sand Wash and Lower Stillwater. The harbor at Utah Lake State Park has a skim of ice so that one might ice fish off the docks but the temperatures are only going to barely dip into the freezing range a few times this week. Scofield has about 8" of ice and should maintain that. That said, I've heard a rumor that someone fell through near the dam. As many people know, Mantua ice is very inconsistent, especially this time of year. You might have good ice where you are but if you wander just over there you may plunge through a weak spot. Remember, your spud bar may be your best friend--take it out often.
I had a really cool visual to put here but that put my character count way over the limit. It shows the ice thicknesses that are safe for various activities. Three inches or less is not safe. Four inches will safely hold single persons but if you have a group you need  five inches. Six is safe to take snowmobiles on and nine inches should hold up an atv. Side by sides may need more. For the brave or foolhardy, do your own research on how many inches you need to be safe driving onto the ice with your car or pickup. I just wouldn't do it under any circumstances.

Dec. 14, 2022 Flaming Gorge[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]as of last Saturday the ice ended just above Currant Creek.  I fished in the Confluence where ice thickness was 4-inches, so I suspect it was much thinner further down lake.[/font]

Please pm me if you have any information I can add here. Conditions this time af year often vary with temperature fluctuations. Just because it was safe last week doesn't mean it is now.

Dec. 27, 2022 Tons of new ice to fish with the cold weather. Got sick or would have updated sooner. Please add anything I have missed.
Newton: 7"
Willard: Some are fishing but it's unsafe at only 3"
Hyrum: 6"
Porcupine: 5" by the spring around to the back
Rockport: 7-8"
Echo: 4-6", watch out for thinner spots
Provo Harbor: 2", but people have been walking and skating on it; most are staying on the docks
Lost Creek: 1.5-5" be careful which part you pick and check it out thoroughly
American Fork Harbor: up to 5" but it's moot because the water is so shallow; if you hunt around you might find 3.5 fow
Lindon Harbor: May have sufficient ice but near zero fow
Bountiful Pond has been being fished but I'm not sure how thick the ice is
Salt Lake Valley ponds and community fisheries only have around 2"

Not ready yet: Deer Creek, Jordanelle, East Canyon, etc.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Messages In This Thread
Safe Ice Digest - by catchinon - 12-04-2022, 05:09 PM
RE: Safe Ice Digest - by dubob - 12-05-2022, 12:12 AM
RE: Safe Ice Digest - by catchinon - 12-05-2022, 06:07 PM
RE: Safe Ice Digest - by hookngrinin - 12-06-2022, 01:36 AM
RE: Safe Ice Digest - by catchinon - 12-15-2022, 01:36 AM
RE: Safe Ice Digest - by catchinon - 12-27-2022, 12:30 PM
RE: Safe Ice Digest - by dubob - 12-27-2022, 02:43 PM
RE: Safe Ice Digest - by smokepoles - 12-27-2022, 03:51 PM
RE: Safe Ice Digest - by RookyFisher - 12-27-2022, 08:00 PM
RE: Safe Ice Digest - by filletedalive - 12-27-2022, 06:35 PM
RE: Safe Ice Digest - by Billygoat1013 - 12-27-2022, 08:43 PM