Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Snowdog Registration Update
I have had multiple conversations with several state employees concerning what I believe is the wrongful classification of a Snowdog as a snowmobile.  What I have come to believe is that the decision to do so came from a fairly new Utah agency called the ‘Utah Division of Outdoor Registration.’  It was legislated in 2022 as part of the Utah Department of Natural Resources to combine the nation’s first Office of Outdoor Recreation with other state recreation management programs, including Utah’s Boating Program, Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Program, and recreation law enforcement officers.

I talked with Chase Pili (Off Highway Vehicle Manager) who is the person responsible for such decisions.  He is firmly convinced that the Utah Code definition of a snowmobile [Utah Code 41-22-2 (22)] is appropriate for Snowdogs.  He told me he based that decision on conversations with lawyers from his division and another division.  All are convinced that the Snowdog is steered and supported by the track.

So, unless some one, or some organization, is willing to challenge that in a court of law or seek an injunction to halt the DMV from registering them until a state court rules on the matter, then we are going to have to register all Snowdogs (factory built or DIY) as snowmobiles.  I will not be that someone.  I have done what I could reasonably do by informing others and writing letters and having phone conversations with those in power.  I was not successful in my quest.  I may contact my State Representative again after the current legislative session has ended to see if changing the wording of the law would be appropriate.  I have already registered my Snowdog as a snowmobile.

Take care, stay safe, & tight lines y’all.  Hope to see you on the ice sometime.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Messages In This Thread
Utah Snowdog Registration Update - by dubob - 02-17-2023, 07:54 PM
RE: Utah Snowdog Registration Update - by dubob - 02-18-2023, 04:33 PM
RE: Utah Snowdog Registration Update - by dubob - 02-18-2023, 05:49 PM
RE: Utah Snowdog Registration Update - by jjannie - 02-19-2023, 12:11 AM
RE: Utah Snowdog Registration Update - by dubob - 02-19-2023, 04:23 PM
RE: Utah Snowdog Registration Update - by Mr. J - 02-19-2023, 02:56 AM
RE: Utah Snowdog Registration Update - by PACKFAN - 02-19-2023, 05:44 PM
RE: Utah Snowdog Registration Update - by oldguy - 02-19-2023, 07:29 PM
RE: Utah Snowdog Registration Update - by dubob - 02-19-2023, 07:34 PM
RE: Utah Snowdog Registration Update - by dubob - 08-19-2023, 08:52 PM