Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I finally figured the Utah AIS changes out – I think.
Wink 
As usual, the state legislature passed a lot of bills during the regular 2023 legislative session.  One of the changes in the Utah Code involves the Aquatic Invasive Species Program (AIS).  And to add some confusion to the mix, the legislators decided that Title 23 (Wildlife Resources Act) should be renumbered to Title 23A.  Most, if not all, of these changes became effective on July 1, 2023.  Ain’t life fun?

So, how do these amendments and enactments impact you?  There are a couple of things most of you will want to know about.  First and foremost, is the cost increase.  The old, resident AIS fee was $10, and it was included in your boat registration total.  That $10 fee has been removed from your boat registration total and will now be handled as a separate, $20 fee which CAN be paid for at the DMV when you register or renew your registration.  It can also be paid online when you take the now REQUIRED (as of July 1, 2023) Mussel-Aware Boater Course.  If you took the course prior to July 1, 2023, that certification is good until December 31, 2023, and you were not able to pay the new $20 AIS fee through the course website.  Now you have the option to pay the new $20 fee online when you take the course.  Here is a link that details this for you: Is your boat registered in Utah? | Aquatic Invasive Species in Utah.  Also, remember this: A printed copy of the mussel-aware boater course completion certificate must be displayed on your vehicle windshield or dash when launching a boat at Utah’s reservoirs.  On your vessel, keep another copy of your mussel-aware boater course certificate — or save an image of the course completion certificate on your mobile device.

There is another ‘fly in the ointment’.  The boat registration and the AIS decal are both issued for 12 month’s from the date of purchase.  The Mussel-Aware Boater Course completion certificate is issued for the complete calendar year in which it was issued.  I spoke with a Division of Outdoor Recreation (DNR) about this, and they told me that they are aware of this issue and will try to correct it in the 2024 legislature.

So, if your 2023 registered for your boat was in January thru June, you won’t pay the new $20 fee until you renew in 2024.  If your 2023 boat registration occurs in July through December, you will pay the new $20 fee this year.  In either case, as of July 1, 2023, you MUST have completed the Mussel-Aware Boater Course and you MUST display the 2023 completion certificate on the dash of your tow vehicle at the time of launching your registered vessel.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Messages In This Thread
I finally figured the Utah AIS changes out – I think. - by dubob - 08-05-2023, 05:08 PM