Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sterile vs. Non sterile predator induction
(09-28-2023, 01:16 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: But as an angler, it makes me Sad. We have to continually dump money into fisheries if we want triploid rainbows or sterile hybrids. It feels lazy. What I most of all hate is to see fisheries that essentially self sustain replaced by tiger trout. We put tiger trout everywhere! Let's put that same energy and money into maintaining quality populations of fertile fish especially brook trout. 

I get this frustration...but, honestly, what solution or other options are there with brook trout? If you leave them to self-sustain, you have a poor fishery that is underutilized. Poisoning is becoming more and more difficult because of the public...I really applaud the idea of trying something like this that is less costly. But, I would much rather have a quality fishery with healthy fish than a self-sustaining population of dinky brook trout that are starving. The thing that many people do not understand is that the very best brook trout lakes in Utah have ZERO reproduction and that is why they are quality lakes...they are completely maintained by stocking. The other lakes on Boulder Mountain, for example, that do produce quality brook trout only get some reproduction and go through cycles when fish are small and overpopulated. Oak Creek Reservoir is a good example of this...currently, it is putting out some really nice brook trout. But, a couple years of reproduction and the quality crashes (that is also why the legal limits of brook trout there are so high).

Remember, fishery managers only have 4 tools at their disposal to improve or manage fisheries: 1) fishing rules and regulations 2) public relations and education 3) fish stocking and fish removlal and 4) habitat improvement or manipulation. Of these 4 tools, which could be used to improve a stunted fishery and how? Looking at them, virtually all are in place when working with these poor self-sustaining fisheries.

R

Read this:
.pdf   4-step method to manage for quality fishing copy.pdf (Size: 1.26 MB / Downloads: 0)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sterile vs. Non sterile predator induction - by wormandbobber - 09-28-2023, 04:24 PM