Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon Questions
(09-29-2023, 12:37 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: Hello guys, I figured I'd ask a question here since I know there are at least a few sturgeon enthusiasts around. I am planning to do a little bank fishing for sturgeon with a friend in October in Idaho. We are both big fans of catfishing and it seems to be pretty similar in practice. I am thinking of fishing the stretch below American Falls Dam but would listen to any advice about possibly fishing other sections (not looking for a honey hole, just general stretches of the Snake River or its reservoirs). I am aware there is a closure on part of the Snake, too. I have the rod and reel and line to handle a sturgeon and am familiar with Idaho's regulations on handling these awesome animals as well as the rigging and barbless hooks. 

My main questions are:

1. How much weight do you normally use? Bank sinker or pyramid? Or different?
  2. What size of hooks? I was gonna use Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks in sizes 6/0 and 8/0 with the barb pinched. Thoughts?
  3. Any bait recommendations?
  4. I am planning to use a very heavy duty (~130 lb) sturgeon leader. Good idea?
Thanks for any pointers. Big Grin

I like pyramid weights, typically in 8 or 10 ounce. I pour my own using a modified mold with the eye attached to the point.  Less snags that way. Anywhere from 5/0 to 8/0 hooks will work. The hooks you listed are good hooks. For bait salmon, trout, pickled herring, whitefish, perch, Cisco, nightcrawlers and a few other baits will work. I use 100 pound braided line and 80 pound soft Dacron for leader. I use 20 pound Dacron for tying on my weights. Below American Falls dam is a good place for shore fishing if you can make a long cast. Either fish from the sturgeon dock or from the fenced landing area just above the sturgeon dock.

Messages In This Thread
Sturgeon Questions - by Envenomation09 - 09-29-2023, 12:37 AM
RE: Sturgeon Questions - by WalleyeAl - 09-29-2023, 02:22 PM
RE: Sturgeon Questions - by Kent - 10-14-2023, 06:04 PM