Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EXTRA PROTECTION
[cool][blue][size 1]We have had a bit of chatter about protective aprons for float tubes. As I have mentioned, I have been installing naugahyde exterior aprons on my round tubes for years. [/size][/blue]

[blue][size 1]In the attached pics, if you look carefully you will see that the red Caddis has a red naugahyde wrap around the front. The pic with the readear also has a brown "flop-over" apron. Usually these are just simple cut to shape pieces with a stitched piece of cord or stretch cord at the back end...to tie to D rings. You can also make them with clips for quick on and off. Be happy to make a diagram if anyone wants it.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you have an open ended craft...like a Uboat, Vboat or pontoon, you might consider inserting protective pieces of material under the cover, along the vulnerable front portions of your air chambers. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I just got some naugahyde...$3.77 a yard at Wally World in the sewing and craft section. I cut two pieces for each of my Fat Cats. Each piece started out as 18" wide and fifteen inches long. Then, I cut an angle off the front edge of each, and cut a slit up the middle...to better fit the taper of the front part of the air chambers. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Next, you partially deflate your craft...just enough to allow you to undo the zipper all the way around, but not enough to let the air chamber(s) get too loose. The pieces of naugahyde can now be inserted and fitted. A bit of fabric glue between the protective material and the cover will help hold the piece in place during subsequent deflations. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Next, before zipping up the cover, put enough air in the chamber(s) to make sure the protective material rides in the right places on the air chamber. Finally, zip up and air up to a medium tight inflation. Best to keep it there between trips to avoid the protection slip sliding down out of position.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, you can use pieces of inner tube, canvas, thick vinyl or any other material that will provide an extra measure of resistance to errant spines or other pointed objects. Not a bad idea to put something under your pockets too...expecially if you are prone to tossing exposed jigs and hooks in there, rather than neatly in a storage box. Hooks have a nasty way of working their way into a corner and then into your air chamber.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
EXTRA PROTECTION - by TubeDude - 03-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Re: [TubeDude] EXTRA PROTECTION - by Dryrod - 03-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Re: [Dryrod] EXTRA PROTECTION - by TubeDude - 03-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Re: [TubeDude] EXTRA PROTECTION - by Dryrod - 03-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Re: [Dryrod] EXTRA PROTECTION - by tubeN2 - 03-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Re: [tubeN2] EXTRA PROTECTION - by Dryrod - 03-12-2004, 02:21 AM
Re: [Dryrod] EXTRA PROTECTION - by tubeN2 - 03-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Re: [TubeDude] EXTRA PROTECTION - by Out4Trout - 03-21-2004, 03:33 AM
Re: [Out4Trout] EXTRA PROTECTION - by TubeDude - 03-21-2004, 12:35 PM