Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay .... to go away? (ot)
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Today I heard something on the radio that I found disturbing and wanted to study a little deeper. So I took a look at today's Standard-Examiner ([/size][/font][url "http://www.standard.net/"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://www.standard.net/[/size][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]) news paper and my fears were confirmed.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]There is a study going on to see if the water that ends up in Willard Bay could be redirected into an underground aquifer before reaching the Bay.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Apparently, there is an extremely large underground aquifer under the Weber County area that holds much of the water that Weber county wells draw it's drinking water from. A Weber State University professor has built a pond that gathers runoff water before it hits Willard Bay and soaks it into that big aquifer in the ground. It seams to be working![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Several times in the article, Willard Bay and it's water is referred to as some kind of "waste".[/size][/font] [indent]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]"Much of it (the runoff) ends up in Willard Bay, where it evaporates. People watch it and wonder 'Isn't there some way to keep from WASTING all that water'?"[/size][/font][/indent]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I have been out there hundreds of times and NEVER wondered if there was a way to keep it from being "wasted". I, on the other hand, have always felt blessed that it existed. Even marveled at the Corps of Engineers that constructed it.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]And then to contradict themselves, the arcticle says that this test diversion will continue until the end of April because ". . . that's when agricultural users will want it back again." [/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Want it backe again? Want it back again for what? Dahh. So, I ask . . . Is this water "wasted" or is it being used by agricultural users? Which?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Now that there is a potential of loosing Willard Bay, I'm realizing just how much I love it's walleyes and wipers. In a previous post, someone referred to Utah's fishing waters as being diverse with varieties. One big reason that is so true is because of the walleye and wipers in Willard.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]If the project and it's research turns out to prove doable, then Willard may in fact see it's demise. Besides, when you have to battle against the argument of drinking water for a fast growing Wasatch Front, you are on the loosing side. Even when you consider water sports, wetlands, crops, and heaven forbid . . . . . fishing. We sure wouldn't want to "waste" all that good water if we can keep it in the ground.[/size][/font]

[mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Willard Bay .... to go away? (ot) - by Old_Coot - 03-29-2004, 08:29 PM