Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propulsion Efficiency
[cool][blue][size 1]I just got through replying to a PM from one of the Utah float tube contingent. His private question was about how to be able to move faster in his craft...without adding a motor. Here is my response for anyone else with the same question.[/size][/blue]

[#ff0000][size 1]FLOAT TUBE PROPULSION? Man, everybody would like to be able to go faster with less effort. There are several factors that affect your speed and efficiency.[/size][/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][size 1]1. Tube design. In most round tubes and many Uboats, the seat has you sitting below water line, with much of your lower body in the water. That creates more drag. On my Super Fat Cat I sit on a bench seat, above the water line. Every kick moves me across the water more easily. I also have a pointed bow on my craft, which cuts through the water easier and is raised so that it glides more over the water than through it. A lot of craft literally plow the water.[/size][/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][size 1]2. Fin size and design. Use the biggest fins you can afford and operate without hurting yourself. Propulsion is a matter of force applied in the right direction. You get more water displacement with a bigger fin blade. Also, if the fin is too stiff, it will wear you out faster. Too flimsy and you do not get efficient transfer of force.[/size][/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][size 1]3. Method of kicking. Longer controlled kicks will move you farther without beating you up. If you need to move quickly...like to get to a bunch of boiling fish...then you put the power to it. Otherwise, just keep long even kicks going...applying thrust to the upkick as well as the downkick.[/size][/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][size 1]Those are the major considerations. Then you have to factor in your size and physical condition. A good set of legs can swim circles around someone who is not a strong kicker. And, you should not try to cover a whole lake when you are out of condition...like after a long winter. Get out on some tuneup trips first and don't overdo it. As Dirty Harry says "A man should know his limitations."[/size][/#ff0000]

[blue][size 1]The one thing I did not suggest was filling your craft with helium. Of course, if you overdid it you could get shot down by the Air Force when you wander into sensitive air space. This terrorism thing has got everybody spooked.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]That got me to thinking. How many of those round UFO's we have seen might just be float tubers with too much helium in their donuts?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Anybody else got any helpful hints to improve the thrust to weight ratio and improve propulsion. And, no comments about "gas powered", burrito magnetos, etc.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Propulsion Efficiency - by TubeDude - 03-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Re: [TubeDude] Propulsion Efficiency - by EmuScud - 03-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Re: [EmuScud] Propulsion Efficiency - by TubeDude - 03-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Propulsion Efficiency - by EmuScud - 03-30-2004, 04:46 PM