Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outboard Advice
Hey guys,

My outboard will not start and gas leaks out of the carburator(out of the top open end, doesn't appear to be a gasket problem) if I pump the ball. I've received a bit of advice the last couple of days with the main theory being it's a stuck float. From the amount of gasoline present it will never start as it'll always be in a flooded state.

I was gonna take out the bottom screw on the reservoir to access the float from underneath and find what's 'causing it to stick. The motor sat around unused for quite a few years so I'm thinking a good cleaning should do it.

Though it sat around for a long time, the motor has less than 10hrs on it. It ran it fine for several trips until the last one. The problem showed up after a long road trip followed by a really bumpy ride the last 5 miles.

Should I just go ahead and tear the whole carburator apart or just clean out the bottom portion?

I've got enough mechanical experience to do the job, I've just never messed around with an outboard or small engines, and unfortunately the motor didn't come with a manual.

If anyone has the time and patience to offer a bit of advice I'd be most appreciative. I'm gonna go ahead and tackle the job in the next couple of days regardless, I was just hoping to get a bit of guidance beforehand.

The motor is a Sears Gamefisher 5.0hp Model 217 586614 and Serial 78004766.

I'm attaching a couple of pics of the carburator in the hopes they will be of some assistance in giving advice.

Thanks,
Mark
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Outboard Advice - by Telbone - 04-01-2004, 06:39 AM
Re: [Telbone] Outboard Advice - by davetclown - 04-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Re: [Telbone] Outboard Advice - by gdn443 - 04-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Re: [gdn443] Outboard Advice - by Telbone - 04-08-2004, 03:19 AM
Re: [Telbone] Outboard Advice - by Coldfooter - 04-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Re: [gdn443] Outboard Advice - by fyshrmn - 04-09-2004, 02:06 AM