Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help, jigging for crappie
[Image: Earthworm.gif] I know you would prefer to get out on the ice to do yer crappie fissin and that is understandable. I prefer my crappie fissin done on the ice as well. But seeing as you will be having a shortage of ice this year in your area unless you want to drive up to sum higher climates in Colorado or Nevada you will have to settle for open water fissin for them calico bass as they are sometimes called.

[Image: Earthworm.gif] There are two verities of calico “black” and “white”. The white calico are white with black spots and the black calico are black with white spots (very distinctive in features but once you have caught both you will forever know the different subtleties). The one in the pic above is a black calico and a nice one at that. They are a pretty fish and fun to catch.

[Image: Earthworm.gif] Calicos are a clean water fish and when you target a school you will definitely be in for sum exciting action with them little scrappers. The largest one I have ever was 17 inches in length and 10 inches in height. One filet filled the bottom of the fry pan. Might I say the he was a scraper too. I had hooked in to him trolling from a rowboat (no motor) using a 3-inch silver diving Repalla.

[Image: Earthworm.gif] However most of my calicos are caught bobber fissin when on open or on ice covered water. With a worm or a minnow or a bug of the season. (larva, crickets, bees)
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
help, jigging for crappie - by scoob - 09-09-2002, 03:59 PM
Re: [scoob] help, jigging for crappie - by ssor - 09-09-2002, 05:09 PM
Re: [ssor] help, jigging for crappie - by scoob - 09-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Re: [scoob] help, jigging for crappie - by davetclown - 09-24-2002, 01:38 PM