Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Mesa Question?
Just read in the Post a few days ago that the Kokenee egg harvest fell way short. While Kokes are much bigger there now, they are less numerous. This could spell disaster for the state koke stocking program! They blame the ever expanding Laker population for it.

They also state that there are millions of Perch now in Blue Mesa. Some bonehead illegally planted them and they are exploding. I haven't fish Blue Mesa in five years, is this true? Perch will eat trout and kokenee fry! The Lakers depend on small trout and Kokenee as forage. This sounds like a disaster in the making to me!

For years I have asked the DOW why they let people snag limits of the largest Kokenee in the state at 11-Mile every year instead of taking their eggs? Never got any kind of expalnation on this incredibly stupid policy. I guess now that they have a potential disaster in the making, they are looking into it[mad]

I am not a bioligist, but would this make sense? If all this is true? It is to late to stop the Perch! It seems to me, the only way to control them, is an infusion of teeth! You can't put Pike or Walleye into the Gunnison drainage, and Lakers are way to deep most of the time to take advantage of the Perch. Why not stock Blue Mesa with huge numbers of Brown and Cutt Throat trout? I realize there are lots of natural Browns there anyway, but why not expand them. There are also several strains of Cutt throat that are very predatory. Remember in the 70s and 80s when the Browns and Kamloops reached monster size at Flaming Gorge? It was because the Gorge was full of Chubs and the trout stayed shallow enough year round to take advantage of the chub explosion.

Please DOW!!!! Do something proactive for once? Just once[mad]

I doubt fisherman could make a dent in the Perch on a lake of that size? I would be more than willing to do my part though[cool]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Blue Mesa Question? - by NealCO - 11-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Re: [NealCO] Blue Mesa Question? - by Icedaddy22 - 11-15-2004, 04:46 AM
Re: [NealCO] Blue Mesa Question? - by NealCO - 11-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Re: [NealCO] Blue Mesa Question? - by NealCO - 11-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Re: [NealCO] Blue Mesa Question? - by Icedaddy22 - 11-15-2004, 09:58 PM
Re: [NealCO] Blue Mesa Question? - by Icedaddy22 - 11-17-2004, 01:49 AM
Re: [NealCO] Blue Mesa Question? - by Icedaddy22 - 11-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Re: [NealCO] Blue Mesa Question? - by Icedaddy22 - 11-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Re: [NealCO] Blue Mesa Question? - by DonInDenver - 11-19-2004, 05:15 AM
Re: [NealCO] Blue Mesa Question? - by Icedaddy22 - 11-23-2004, 09:22 PM