Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Report 1/19/05
[cool]Finally got out to fish some Perch hardwater today (well I did fish Mantua last Sat. but I wouldn't call that Perch water). Met CBR at the Gas Station down the hill and proceeded up the hill at about 7:15. Checked out the West side of the lake and it looked like scary ice, especially in the daybreak, so we decided to just go over to the boat ramp and pay. Got out on the ice o.k. via the plank (thanks DKSRenegade). Upon further inspection of the shore, there was a safe spot to get on about 30 ft south of the ramp-don't know how many more days that will last). We went out about 150 yards from the ramp and drilled the holes. CBR started nailing Perch right off the bat, and I caught just one to his 4 or 5, so I switched setups.

Just around then low and behold, who should open his yapper on our radio's but petty4life asking if there was any BFT'rs on the lake, and unfortunately we responded (j/k, petty[Tongue]) and within about 15 minutes petty and HCD showed up and joined us. Right about then (like clockwork) our bite pretty much shutoff, but we all had a good time. Then after a few more minutes polokid called CBR (or vice versa) and shot the breeze for a minute. One hour later Rob (polokid) surprised us and out came he and Lily to join the party.

The bite was slow for all of us today with most of us only landing a couple, but saw two guys (probably "guests" of this site) out about 200 yards nailing the Perch, but even they left at about noon because the fishing was so slow. Petty and HCD left at about the same time, and CBR and I left at about 2.

I only caught two Perch, and one little bow. CBR ended up with about 6 I think and one nice little Brown. The bright spot for me was that one of the two Perch I caught was 12 inches, and I have a pic to prove it. Also saw many deer when we first got there including a nice three-point buck. Also met bassrods, whose name is Clifford. He's the guy that holds the smallmouth record at Jordanelle, and it was interesting chatting with him about Smallmouth fishing, which he obviously knows a lot about. He's been featured on Doug Miller Outdoors and also Utah's Best Fishing Holes on Sportsbeat Sunday (ch. 5) w/Rod Zundel last summer. I knew that I'd seen him somewhere before

Ice looked pretty hairy (especially around 2 when we were leaving). For those of you planning on hitting Rockport this weekend, you have been warned that there might not be safe ice. I'll let CBR talk about the ice that moved on us as we were leaving.

[inline "Rockport 12 inch Perch.jpg"]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Rockport Report 1/19/05 - by Out4Trout - 01-20-2005, 01:33 AM
Re: [Out4Trout] Rockport Report 1/19/05 - by HCD - 01-20-2005, 02:11 AM
Re: [HCD] Rockport Report 1/19/05 - by CBR - 01-20-2005, 02:35 AM
Re: [CBR] Rockport Report 1/19/05 - by HCD - 01-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Re: [HCD] Rockport Report 1/19/05 - by HCD - 01-23-2005, 01:01 AM