Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unilever dumping in Hammonasset River
It appears Dave that the fungus problem is seperate from the unilever situation. AND THE LOCALS ARE UP INARMS ON THIS ISSUE. LOOKS LIKE THEY WILL HAVE TO CLEAN UP OR GET OUT!! A Quote from another board in state.>> I know many people at the Unilever corporate level. In fact, I met the Chief Operating Officer a few weeks back.

The Clinton plant is old. Unilever is in a huge consolidation mode, closing many plants throughout the world. HERE'S ANOTHER ONE>>>

I can assure you, if pushed and if not allowed to do something reasonable with the discharge, they will shut the plant and move producti I've spent way too much time on this site today. I'm an Environmental Engineer at Sikorsky. I work on waste water issues. Basically most industries disharge waste water to either the sewer or to surface waters - different permits are required. Permit limits are very tough - John is correct - in many cases "tap water" can not be discharged -the chlorine limits and even copper put in by the water companies make the discharge slightly toxic and often fail permit limits. While I have not examined the issue related to Unilever - the permit limits mandated by the state are very PROTECTIVE. The waste waters generated by boating activities would be much more toxic than this discharge (we all have some type of impact). There is no way you could have industry and not have waste water discharges - those discharges are managed and for the most part the impact by them is slight (sewage treatment is a different subject). We all generate wastes/waste water and all have an impact. Wise management is the solution - zero discharge is a nice concept but often not reality. Wash water from our boats/fish cleaning tables is also somewhat "toxic". on elsewhere. They've not really threatened this publically, but I know it's in the cards.

Who will hurt from this?? Not Unilever, but the hundreds of local employees. Consider this when you view them as a "big bad corporation"

Before anyone flies off the handle on the word "discharge", a careful analysis needs to be done as to what the effluent is that is being sent into the river.

Everything I've read shows a discharge that makes our drinking water seem like pollution. The levels of heavy metals are below what you and I are allowed to drink.

In many cases, factories aren't allowed to discharge tap water since it has contaminants far above the allowable discharge levels.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Unilever dumping in Hammonasset River - by gdn443 - 03-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Re: [davetclown] Unilever dumping in Hammonasset River - by gdn443 - 03-07-2005, 10:24 PM