Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time fishing the beautiful Bear Lake
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: winner.gif][/size][/font][/center][center][#ff0000][size 2]Week Ending 11-30-02: [/size][/#ff0000][/center] [center][#ff0000][size 2][#008000]This Tip is a good one for any one wanting to learn to fish, wether it be on salt or fresh water and yet reminds us that the fish dont bite every day but when they do...[/#008000][#004000] [/#004000]
[/size][/#ff0000][/center] [center][#ff0000][size 2][/size][/#ff0000] [/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Yesterday, BearLakeMak was kind enough to introduce me to fishing at Bear Lake for the first time. This was a trip that we have been planning for about nine months and finally pulled it off yesterday. It turned out to be a day of fishing that I won't soon forget ... if ever! For BLM, it was another great day of fishing on one of his favorite fishing ponds. For me it was a day filled with many "firsts".[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]As we came up over Logan canyon and crested the hill giving us a view of the lake, all we could see was thick dense fog covering the lake. BLM, thinking it was going to be a repeat of last week, said oh my he!! and busted out laughing. As we arrived at the bottom of the hill in Garden city, we realized that the what we were seeing was just low cloud cover and were going to be able to navigate the lake after all.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We launched at the marina at about 7:15 in surprisingly warm 30 degree temperature. The fish finder said that the water was about 43 degrees. As we left the marina, BLM pointed out the areas that were frozen over last week ... no ice today.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]As we left the marina, we seen one guy on the bank fishing with a fly rod for white fish. BLM explained that the white fish were spawning on the banks this time of year. He pulled the boat over and anchored it. BLM said "let's try for some whites for a minute here". We threw out some small white curly tail jigs tipped with worms and bounced them along the bottom. I was now fishing Bear Lake for my [#0000ff]first[/#0000ff][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] time. Within a few minutes I had caught my [#0000ff]first[/#0000ff][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] white fish, then another, and another. After I had landed three whites, (and BLM none ... ha ha) BLM said "Well, we didn't come to catch little whites" and we headed for deeper water.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]As we cruised out about a mile or so, BLM pointed out how the clouds that we seen covering the lake when we arrived were now above us and we could see all the way to the east side of the lake. The water was calm and it was a very good day to be fishing the Bear away from the supermarket crowds. We anchored down and BLM began to teach me the art of vertical jigging for Lake Trout. It was the [#0000ff]first[/#0000ff][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] time I had ever jigged and found it to be interesting change from trolling. We sat it that one spot for about an hour without any hits. BLM decided to move out close to an area he called Guss's Point. Guss's point must be a fairly popular place cause there were about six other boats there. We found good vacant spot, anchored down, and spent the next seven hours in that one spot. I was using a brown speckled pumpkin seed colored tube jig and BLM used a blue and white one and sometimes a rainbow one. Two or three hours later, and no fish, it looked like it was going to be pretty s.l.o.w.w.w. We started to put crawfish or anchovy oil on our jigs to add some smell and around 2:00 I caught my [#0000ff]first[/#0000ff][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] Mack ... small (1-2 lbs) but fun. Then BLM landed a couple small ones. Then the other boats slowly started to leave. I guess the fish gods were pleased with our persistence for staying longer and decided to let the flood gates open for us. We started catching more macks and they were getting increasingly larger. With BLM's sharp eye on the sonar and his many hours of experience, he would tell me exactly how high or low to put my bait and very often, I would get a strike. I missed many a mack strike until BLM convinced me to quickly get my lure back down to the strike zone immediately after a missed strike. I was amazed at how many times a mack would strike a second or third time until I could hook him. After a while, I caught my [#0000ff]first[/#0000ff][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] Bear Lake cutthroat too ... about three pounds. The biggest fish all came in the boat in the late afternoon. BLM brought in an 11 lb mack with a back that looked like it had been bent or broken earlier in it's life. My biggest fish was 8-9 lbs. Around 4:00 we decided to leave for the marina. BLM said "I'll just fish for another 5 minutes" ... bam ... another 9 pounder! By the time we left for the marina, we had each caught a half dozen or more good sized macks. I was psyched! It had been one awesome day. Cold but awesome. Upon reaching the marina, there were about 6 guys fishing the bank for whites, including that same fly fisherman. We decided to stop and try for a few more whites our selves. I caught two more large whites and then we pulled back into the dock at about 5:30 to end the day on the lake.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]All-in-all, I found it to be an extremely good day fishing; many firsts and the biggest fish I have ever caught!!! I know that most of you have all caught many bigger fish than what I did but I doubt that you could have enjoyed it much more. But most of all, I want to thank BLM for his taking me and teaching me so many tricks and tips to vertical jigging for Bear Lake Macks.[/size][/font]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
First time fishing the beautiful Bear Lake - by Old_Coot - 11-30-2002, 06:06 PM